8

Picture of Aria drawn by 7WeeksOfWinter ❤️

* * * * *

I sit down at a table beside my friends in the cafeteria. I came here almost immediately after I saw the fight. The thought of what might happen to the three now tugs at my mind while I try to eat. Everyone is talking, but i'm just smiling and nodding when they look my way. I was so close to being eliminated. What could have happened to me?

Just as I finish my last bite, a man's voice fills the room, coming over the speakers. It's not Alex, this man is too nice sounding to be him. "Good evening, Chosen! These are the daily announcements. You'll have them every night, and they are basically a summary of the day along with any important information you might need to know. So please, pay attention."

I sit up straighter in my chair, hoping he will mention something about the eliminated Chosen.

"Today you all came in very early and got your dorms. If you have any questions about these, do not hesitate to ask a staff member. You were given time to do whatever you might please, as this first week we will be going easy on you." The voice is humorous, but the words aren't.

"I hope they aren't going to be too tough on us," Nate says in a whisper.

"We do have some bad news though." He continues.

Here it comes. I just now realize that i'm one of the few people that already know. Most others weren't there.

"We are very disappointed to announce that three of you were caught in a violent fight, and have been eliminated. Two Twelves and a Thirteen. Please, don't let this be a common thing."

"We're down to three hundred and ninety seven already?" Carrie gasps. "We just got here!"

"Crazy, isn't it?" I sigh. "How could they ruin this opportunity for themselves so quickly. I don't understand it."

"Does anyone know why they were fighting?" Jason asks after taking a huge gulp of juice.

"No clue. When I got there--"

"Woah, woah, woah." Jen interrupts me with a surprised expression on her face, eyebrows knit together and eyes wide. "You were there?"

I nod. "Yeah, I heard them yelling and—"

"And one more thing, could Aria Parker come to office 4B on the west wing? That's the third floor. Thank you, and have a good night, Chosen."

I choke on my drink when I hear the speaker say my name. I'm not safe. The cameras saw me. The boy, what was his name? Jack. He didn't stop me in time. I'm going to have to go home. I've been here one day and I've already screwed it up.

"Aria..." Nate takes my hand.

I can feel my anxiety getting the better of me as my breaths become more and more laboured.

"Hey! You're alright. I'll come with you, okay?" He frowns and tugs lightly at my arm. I can see anyone that knows my name —particularly my friends— staring.

"Okay," I say faintly.

He doesn't say a word to me on the walk there. I'm glad he doesn't try making smalltalk, or attempt to calm my nerves. I wouldn't know what to say if he did.

I timidly open the door to the office that I was told to go to. A smiling woman who appears to be in her mid twenties greets us. "Aria! Thank you for coming so quickly. I see you brought your friend Nate. He can come in as well."