2

Beep! Beep! Beep! The horribly annoying sound jarrs me from my sleep. I open my eyes slowly and look at my alarm clock; "Six thirty," I mumble, smacking the top of it to make it shut up. I roll over again to go back to sleep, but then I remember. It's choosing day! I jump out of bed, and groggily run downstairs for breakfast yelling, "Wake up, Hanna!"

I start setting the table while Mom finishes making bacon and eggs for us. She hums to herself with a smile on her face. I smile too, just watching her. Mothers seem to have their emotions toned down so much, but you can still see that she's bursting with excitement for Hanna and I. I wonder if as a kid she was sad she wasn't in the fifty years. My grandparents had only missed the date by a year of their lives. Me and Hanna are lucky when I think about it. I have to be chosen so I can tell mom all about it. I'll remember everything for her. I'll tell her the story as if she was there herself. With the lack of information we all have, I hope... No, I know she'd love for me to do that.

Hanna comes downstairs just as Mom finishes cooking and sets the food on the table. I eat my food as quickly as I can, then put my dishes in the dishwasher. I run back upstairs yelling, "Thanks again for breakfast, Mom!" I hear Hanna running behind me as I open the door to my room.

I pull my long brown hair into a side French braid, and because this is a special event I put on eyeliner and mascara. I'm usually terrible at that, but somehow today I get it right, and manage to make my hazel eyes look brighter. Stressed out enough as is, I don't pick anything overly fancy to wear, but still nice enough that on the rare chance I am chosen, I'll look okay onstage. I doubt I'd have anything fancy to wear anyway. I grew way too much since the last time I went for clothes, I'm probably 5'7" now, so all my dresses are too short. Finally I go with one of the too short dresses, its hem falling above my knees, and put thick tights underneath to make up for the length.

After entering my blood pressure and other health related things into the CHWS or 'Citizens Health and Welfare System', which is an annoying requirement of society, I head back downstairs. My mom is standing by the stairs, with her hands clasped tightly in front of her while she looks up at me.

"Hi, Mom." I do a twirl when I reach the bottom.

"That dress?" She smirks.

"I know, I'm sorry! I just wanted to wear something semi nice but not over the top. This is all I had!" I defend my choice with a laugh.

"I'll allow it," she teases, kissing me on the forehead. The only reason she's able to do that is because of the heels she's wearing, otherwise I would be taller. "But only because it's a special day!"

"Thank you, mommy!" I grin, making my voice a little more childish.

"Do I look okay?!" Hanna starts to walk down the stairs, looking panicked.

"You look beautiful." Mom smiles, and I nod in agreement.

"Really?"

She really does look gorgeous with her sky blue eyes perfectly framed by her wavy black hair. Her smile is complimented by two dimples on either cheek, which I find adorable. It's hard to believe she's twelve now, it feels like she's growing up so fast. Her green dress falls just below her knees and flutters as she walks towards me.

"Yeah." I smile. "Let's go."

"I love you," Mom says, giving us hugs that last longer than usual. "Just in case you don't come back today."

"I love you too," Hanna and I both say, squeezing her tighter.

"Tell Dad we love him too!" I wring my hands together nervously. Hanna smiles and nods vigorously.