7

It takes forever to walk to our rooms. The whole place is ginormous, i'm not sure i'll ever memorize my way around. Especially since every single hallway is the same. Clean, white, shiny, and empty.

We're finally left by our room and told to go inside by the people who brought us here. I let out a sigh of relief when they and the other people waiting to get to their rooms walk away. Peace and people-less quiet.

"Open the door!" Carrie says impatiently.

"I am opening the door." I press my palm against the white square in the wall that is right at chest level to unlock it. I start to push the door open once it's unlocked, but Carrie doesn't seem to think I'm opening it fast enough. She pushes past me, disappearing into the darkened room.

It only takes a second for the lights to turn on, most likely triggered by a motion sensor. With the lights on, I can see how magnificent our room is. I start looking around to see all that they left for us. The room it huge, with two walk in closets and an ensuite bathroom. The walls are all white except for the one with my bed, which is black. My blankets are blue, and Carrie's are yellow. You can tell whose side is which not only by the beds, but also all the little decorations in our colours. We each have a bookshelf and a desk. I squeal with delight when I see how many new books are there for me to read. Carrie squeals when she sees how much clothes they left us.

"I thought it was be awful only allowed three colours. But just look at all of this!" She giggles and shows me every single piece of clothing.

"Exciting." I raise my eyebrows.

"Oh just go back to looking at your books you geek."

Suddenly, a rectangular shape on one of the black white walls starts to glow. The lighting in the room dims a little. Words appear in the glowing rectangle, directing us on what to do next. Carrie reads it aloud. "Hello, Aria and Caroline. We hope you like your room. When you are ready, please make your way to room seven." She stops for a second to look at me. "Where is that?"

"I... I don't know." I try to tap the spot on the wall to see if any more information will show up. Nothing happens.

"So, should we go looking for it?" Carrie asks after a moment of silence.

"I guess so." I smile comically. "Adventure time."

*****

Finally we make it to where we're supposed to be. We had walked around for a while, but eventually just decided to follow everyone else. It must have been an hour of walking around this maze of a building. They wait a little while to make sure everyone's gotten here, and then a woman starts to speak. She's up on stage, so we can barely see her. She taps the mic to make sure it's working. As soon as the noise echoes through the building, the wall behind the stage turns into a giant screen. We can clearly see the woman on stage now. I read her nametag, it says H. Dawson.

"Hello." She smiles. "Glad to see you all made it here. Now, let's cut to the chase and answer the questions that most of you may be having. I'm sure you're wondering about what we meant when we said that some of you would be eliminated."

I notice a few peopling nodding their agreement.

"Four hundred of you were chosen at... random. That is a lot of people. The abilities --or 'superpowers' as many of you have been calling them-- cannot be given to all four hundred. That would be chaos. And, just as was mentioned with the immortality, we can't give them to someone who will abuse the power."

"How will you know who deserves it?" Someone interrupts her.

"I was getting to that." She raises her eyebrows and look at the teenager with an amused smile, the corner of her mouth turning up on one side. "You will be watched carefully, given tests, and trained to be sure you'll know how to posses the abilities."