3

"Jennifer Blake?" The woman says, looking through the crowd to find her. My jaw slacks, and I whip my head around to look at her. She's standing there staring back at me, brown eyes wide.

"Oh my gosh, Jen! You got chosen!" I squeal, forgetting my bitter thoughts towards the whole Choosing thing, and wanting to snap her out of her daze. Nodding at me, she starts to walk to the stage. A few seconds later though she stops and turns back to me. She runs over through the crowd, wraps her arms around me in a quick embrace, and then goes back towards the stage. By the time she gets there, it appears her nervousness is completely gone. She struts up the stairs, makes a face at the crowd, and then with a grin goes to stand behind the woman with all the other Sixteens that were chosen so far.

I'm bursting with happiness for Jennifer but am still upset that Laura, Anna and Hanna were not chosen. I stand with Carrie and watch as more people go up on stage. I can't help but be jealous of my cousin. She looks to proud to be up there, but not in the 'oh look at me' kind of way.

My mind starts to wander until I hear the words "Aria Parker." My head shoots up and I turn to Carrie to see if what I heard was real. Her eyes are wide with shock as she pushes me toward the stage. I walk slowly up the stairs, suddenly feeling very, very shy. I take my place next in line, giving Jen a quick high five on my way there. The whole rest of the time she's listing off names, I know I still have that shocked look still on my face. My palms are sweaty, and those 4th of July butterflies? Now they're a hurricane.

The woman finishes with the Sixteens, and starts on the Seventeens while we are escorted inside another room. Everybody who was or will be chosen today are supposed to be in this room. It looks much like the other rooms of this building. White marble floors, glass walls. The major difference though is the bullet train track that runs through. The layout of the room is like that of an airport, with seating areas, food places, and bathrooms. If you hadn't guessed already, this is the city's main train station.

A man looking to be in his twenties walks up to our group and says coldly, "You will all wait here until all the chosen from today are in this room. Don't talk please just... wait." He then walks away briskly, stopping to yell at one of the organizers. Looks like he's one of the people in charge. Fun...

"He was friendly," I say dryly.

The guy behind me laughs at my words. I turn around, feeling embarrassed. I hadn't really meant to say it aloud. He tilts his head and says,"Hi, I'm Nate."

"Aria." I smile, cheeks likely still red. To avoid more awkwardness, I avoid looking at him while I speak.

"Mr. Brooks and Ms. Parker, please be quiet!" The cranky man snaps. I glare at him and purse my lips. A thought then comes to my mind. How does he memorize our names so fast? We literally were chosen less than ten minutes ago.

"I don't see why we should be quiet," a girl with blond and green hair says, interrupting my thoughts. "We're just waiting for more people to get here." She chews gum as she talks, and it snaps loudly everytime she opens her mouth.

I start trying to think of something that doesn't sound too lame to say in response, but stop when the doors open up again. A group of people flood in, obviously the Seventeens. A familiar high pitched scream fills the room. "ARIA!" I turn around stunned to see Carrie standing there with the other chosen Seventeens. I can't believe it. My best friend got chosen. My cousin was chosen. I was chosen! My head is spinning.

I wave at her with a goofy grin on my face, wiggling with excitement.

"Ms. James, quiet please!" The man yells at Carrie. She jumps back in surprise.