Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen (Rick's POV)

So much for my beauty sleep. My eyes had just closed when I heard Vic rapping his knuckles against the door, yelling for me to get up and get ready.

It was time to face the music. Or, rather, Satan and his wife.

The thought made me scowl as I threw myself into a sitting position, looking down at the pillow that I had ended up smashing to death in my arms. I rolled my eyes and chucked it at the nearest wall before slowly sliding to the end of the bed to rest my elbows on my knees, my head in my hands.

Yesterday felt like a nightmare and it was only going to get worse from here on out.

Joy.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, staring at the floor now. It was hard to relax. It had only been one night and I was already going insane without waking up to see Devin lying beside me, all curled up under my arm and his breath against my collarbone. Imagining it only made the issue in my pants worse.

I fell back on the bed to stare up at the ceiling, my arms spread out. All right, Rick. Concentrate.

The whole reason you're suffering through this crap-tastic treatment and even going as far as to see those people again, is all for Devin. And it was going to be worth it in the end when his dad figured out that I would never hurt Devin. Sure, I made a mess of the hospital room, but why would he ever think I'd hurt Devin?

I took a bullet for him.

Whatever. I'd never understand parents. They were like the weather. Hot, cold. Stormy, calm. A real pain in the ass. Part of me would never, ever want to deal with that bullshit... I shot upright, pressing the heels of my palms against my eyes.

Oh god. No. No kids. Definitely not. I could see it now.

"Mr. Patterson, is there any reason your son thought he could bring a weapon to school?"

Talk about bad parenting.

I shook my head and rose to my feet. I was thinking too much. I only had to focus on one thing at a time. Main goal was to get Devin back. Main task, try to tolerate being in the same room with my so-called parents for an hour or so. I just had to keep the goal in mind.

It's for Devin. I worked far too hard to give up on Devin now. I had done so much just so that I could call Devin mine. I wasn't going to let a bunch of self-centered bigot bastards get in the way of the one thing that I finally had all to myself. The one thing that kept me going. And I wasn't going to let myself fall down.

It wasn't my style to lay down easily.

I'm not giving up.

Devin is mine.

I went to my dresser, pulling on my best pair of leather pants and tearing through my closet to tug on my buckled motorcycle boots. Through all the digging around, I found my old studded belt and hooked it through the loops of my pants, then grabbed my black v-neck shirt, tugging it on over my head. I grabbed my leather jacket and cell phone and headed out into the hallway just in time to see Blake slipping out of his room in a fashion that said I didn't tell Danny where I was going, hopefully he won't find out.

For the love of God and all the shit He made.

"Ooo," I cooed, making Blake whirl around to glare at me, "Someone's being sneaky. Didn't tell the wife you were leaving, eh? Lucy's not gonna be happy." Blake's brow furrowed in a scowl as he tugged on his jacket, straightening and buttoning the last button on his fancy button up shirt. The one he bought only to wear at Danny's graduation.