Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight (Devin's POV)

I felt so numb. I didn't know what to do. All I could do was sit there in the waiting room outside the emergency surgery. I couldn't move, I didn't want to move. I couldn't even get up to clean the blood off my clothes.

Rick's blood.

I felt my eyes welling up with tears, but I couldn't let myself cry. I just couldn't. Rick was going to be okay, right? It didn't hit him anywhere vital, right? He was going to be fine. He'd walk through those doors any minute and laugh at me for being such a baby, then make some joke about having sex in the hospital room.

"Devin! Oh my god, Devin!" I had to force myself to look up to see my mom come running into the room. What made me jump to my feet was the fact that my dad was behind her along with Danny, Blake, and Vic.

"M-Mom?" I managed. She ran over to me and wrapped her arms around me, her lips smacking into my cheek and forehead and lips and everywhere else. My dad caught me off guard by rushing over, grabbing me in a tight bear hug, his breathing labored as if the very thought of me being in the hospital was petrifying.

But it wasn't me that was hurt.

It was Rick. Rick was hurt. Rick was hurt because of me. If I hadn't of freaking shown up and distracted him, he'd be all right. I shouldn't have stuck my nose in his business. I sucked in a deep breath to keep from crying. It hurt. I didn't want Rick to die. I didn't want anything to happen to him.

I... I loved him.

"Baby, honey, are you okay? Are you hurt? What happened?!" My mom cried, tears welling in her eyes as she held me by my face.

"The cops aren't telling us a thing." My dad agreed in disbelief.

"Wh-Who's blood is that?" Danny stammered, stepping up between my parents to stare at my shirt before Blake touched his shoulders to calm him down. Vic looked as white as a ghost, his expression petrified. His nephew was in there, in the emergency room with a gunshot wound while everyone was swarming me?

"It's not me," I cried before I could stop myself as my mouth seemed to move on its own, "Rick! I-I don't know what happened! I woke up and Rick was gone, so I went to find him and I knew he was going to be there! I didn't know the guy had a gun! He was supposed to shoot me, not Rick!" My mother gasped and clamped a hand over her mouth. Blake went pale and let go of Danny to stare at me.

"Rick's been shot?" He asked.

"Oh my god." Vic fell into one of the chairs, a hand on his forehead and another hand over his mouth as he seemed to be trying not to cry. My chest ached at the sight of him looking so horrified and Blake went over to sit down beside him. Danny just gulped. For once, he had nothing to say.

"Wait," My dad said slowly, his eyes staring at me closely, "Who had a gun? Why?" I groaned and threw my hands up in the air.

"Alex! Alexander Tate! He was some douche bag that was out to get Rick and Rick went after him, even after I told him not to... I didn't want Rick to get hurt, so I went to find him and when I did, he'd already found Alex. Rick was going to do something stupid, I knew it, so I butted in and then the guy was going to shoot me for defending Rick... And Rick grabbed me and jerked me out of the way and he got shot instead.... It's all my fault..." I felt my voice lower to a whisper.

"Devin..." Danny's expression was pained and he hugged me next. I let him. I needed something, a hug, anything, but it was like nothing could erase all the pain that was building inside me.

Please, God, please let Rick be okay... I love him so much. I'd do anything for him. Please.

"He saved you," My dad breathed as Danny let go of me to look at him, "I didn't think..."