Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine (Rick's POV)

It'd been a freaking long ass time since my body ached this badly. My bones felt like glass and my skin like freaking paper with silly putty for muscle. I was told not to move too much, especially with the IV sticking out of my arm. I still felt sort of queasy, but not enough to say so.

I couldn't care less how I felt physically because lying on the edge of my bed, Devin had fallen asleep with his face tipped towards me and an arm resting under his head. He was freaking exhausted and I could tell when he had walked in, like he'd just run the marathon. The fact that he had rushed in here so quickly made my heart swell and if I wasn't in such crappy shape, I'd take him and throw him down on the bed in an instant.

All I could really do now was just watch him sleep quietly. It helped me relax knowing his all right and with me. I had an itching sensation that I didn't want him to be alone, ever. And I wasn't about to be left alone either.

Although, I was also peeved that Alex got away. It was clawing at me like a wet cat inside, but Devin rushing to my defense smoldered any want to go after him. I wasn't going to go after Alex if it meant hurting Devin. Screw that, I'm torture the bastard with lawsuits.

I sighed and relaxed back on the bed a little bit, staring up at the ceiling before a nurse peeked in, then smiled faintly as she came in, carrying a tray of different juices and water.

"You're only allowed liquids for the first week, so I brought you some different things," She set up the tray so it was on my lap, then glanced over at Devin, "Are you planning on waking him up soon? Visiting hours are almost over." I cocked a brow at her.

"Lady, this guy almost got killed because of me. He's staying here all freaking night." I retorted. She blinked and stared at me, her pink lips forming an 'O'. I glanced at Devin for a while, watching him snooze peacefully.

"And I'd feel better if he just stayed here with me. It's safer than being out there." I muttered, picking up one of the juices. The nurse nodded slowly, nibbling on her lower lip.

"Well, we're not supposed to let visitors stay..."

"He was punched in the face. Set him up a bed next to mine then. Tell them he might be at risk for a concussion or something stupid."

"You really like him, don't you?"

"So what? Are you gonna stop treatment just because I like another guy?" I demanded in irritation, setting the drink down. The nurse stared at me for a long time, then a smile broke across her face.

"Honey, like whoever you want. You're still a human being and if you're hurt, we'll do our best to treat you so that you can be on your feet again with the one you love. Believe me, we don't hold sexuality against anyone." She explained. I felt myself relax, looking at her with a faint smile.

"Wow. That's a shocker... Last hospital I went to, they wouldn't give me a physical because of it." I replied. The nurse scoffed, folding her arms over her chest.

"Oh, what garbage. Some people have no decency. A human is a human, regardless of sexuality, race, sex, whatever. Some people are just..."

"Intolerant bastards." I filled in. The nurse grinned, lowering her arms.

"Great minds think alike," She winked, then gesture to the juices, "Those were all I could find for now, but in the morning, I'll do what I can to find more."

"I take it Budlight is off-limits?" I asked. The nurse wagged her finger at me, giving me a flick in the nose that surprised me as I stared at her in disbelief. She was really quirky.