Chapter 7- Cole

After I got off the phone with Marcus, I changed into some shorts and a plain t-shirt before driving to the school. I got out of my car and began dribbling the ball on the field, waiting for Marcus and Brandon to show up. As I waited for them, my phone went off and I took it out of my pocket. Weird, Sam's friend Erica texted me. Oh, it's a voice recording message. I put the phone speaker up to my ear and pressed the play button. I leaned against the fence and bit my lip as I listened to the conversation. "...I love him but I'm afraid to tell him how I feel..." I was a bit surprised at that confession but I kept silent and continued listening. Once I finished listening to the recording, I played it another two times. I still couldn't believe that Sam was in love with me. I sat against the fence to the soccer field and as Marcus and Brandon approached the field, you could see that I was shaken up. "Whoa, you okay?" Marcus asked me as Brandon held his hand out to help me up. I took the hand, using it to stand up, still leaning against the fence. "Listen to this." I said, before taking my phone back out and playing the recording for Marcus and Brandon. They were both silent throughout the recording, except Brandon, Erica's boyfriend, who spoke enough just to say that he wasn't surprised that his girlfriend sent this to me. He said it was "the type of thing Erica would do. She's always trying to set people up.'

Once we finished listening to the recording, I turned it off and put my phone away in my pocket. We were all silent for a bit, until Brandon spoke up. "So what's your plan?" He asked, crossing his arms as he leaned against the fence, looking at me. "What do you mean?" I asked, not a hundred percent sure what he's getting at. "I mean, what's your plan for wooing Sam and confessing your feelings to her?" He said. I raised my eyebrow at him. "Really Brandon? Wooing?" I asked him. He gave me a look and I rolled my eyes. "I don't know, all right? I mean how do you confess to your best friend since birth that you're in love with her and are not just lying for sex, when she's convinced that you're not even remotely interested in her in a romantic way?" I asked. That seemed to keep Brandon quiet for a bit. Marcus chuckled. "Well damn Cole. When you put it that way, I don't even know what to say. It seems like you're screwed." Brandon shook his head and finally spoke up. "No you're not. You can do this Cole. Remember that note you wrote back in like, third grade, admitting you had a crush on Sam?" I nodded. Of course I remember, that was when my love for Sam started, that was when I first developed my crush on her. "Well if you still have it, give her that letter along with another letter you'll write now, explaining your feelings for her. Drop the letters off with flowers and instructions. The instructions will explain in which order to open the letters and the instructions for her day, leading up to the date." Brandon explained.

I looked at him, at bit confused. "Her day leading up to the date? What do you mean by that?" I asked. "Send her out on a scavenger hunt. At each stop, she'll pick up the hint to the next stop and an object that will be use on the date. I suggest putting a necklace at one stop, earrings at another stop, putting a dress at a third, shoes at fourth, and underwear or whatever at a fifth. This'll keep her busy during the day as you spend the day getting ready for her." He clarifies and I make notes in my phone. "This is a great idea Brandon. Thank you." I said. "No problem." He said smiling. "Anything to help my bro out." Marcus sighed. "Yeah I had nothing, so thank god he was here. I guess that's what happens when you don't have a girlfriend." He said sadly. We all laughed at that. "Marcus, you'll find someone. Whether it not be now, but maybe once we go off to college." I said, trying to cheer him up.

We kicked the ball around on the field for about an hour or so before heading in our separate ways. I got in the car and drove my way into Dallas, looking for a specific building. Ah, there it is. The Plaza Hotel. It was literally the nicest hotel in Dallas. The Plaza is where celebrities normally stay when they come to Texas. I parked across the street and headed across the busy road to the hotel to get a room for the night of me and Sam's date. "Um, excuse me miss?" I asked, heading up to the concierge desk. "Yes, may I help you?" "What is the lowest floor that has a view over looking the city?" She went to check her books. "It would be the 14th floor." She said. "Well I'd like to get a room over looking the city on that floor. Only for one night, tomorrow night actually." She looked at their records on the computer. "Do you want a room or a suite?" "Suite." "King bed or Queen?" "King." "Alright. The suite comes with a full spa bathroom, the amazing view and free room service. It'll be $800 for the night." Jeez, that's a lot of money. I took out my card and gave it to the woman. "Now checkout is at noon but for a $30 fee, we can extend the time to 6 pm." I nodded. "You might as well go ahead and add that on." She ran my card through and I signed my name down for the room, authorizing the purchase. "Well we'll see you tomorrow Mr.Pendery."

I sure as hell hope that Sam loves this and admits to loving me, because I am spending a shit load of money on one date. Ah, the things you do for love.