Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty Four

      “So, Carter, where do you go to school?” Jake asked as we headed back to the lodge from ice-skating. I was proud of myself, I only fell twice; but, then again, both times Jake made sure to point it out to the other twenty some people in the rink.

      “UCLA,” Carter said, “how about you guys?”

      “Well I’m going to Harvard,” I said, thinking about how it would feel when I got my acceptance letter. Though I was merely a junior, Harvard University was were I belonged and planned to spend the years of my higher education.

      “Elle, don’t you kinda have to get in and apply first?” Jake questioned mockingly.

      “Jake, how’s your application looking?” I countered. “Oh, what’s that? You’re not applying?”

      “Funny, Elle,” his voice lacked any traces of humor.

      “I know, right?!” I laughed lightly. Jake was not applying to Harvard. He simply had no desire to go, a concept I deemed quite ludacris. 

      “So, you’re both in high school?” Carter summed up.

      “Yeah,” Jake answered for both us.

      “You both seniors?”

      “Nope,” Jake smirked down at me, “this child right here has another entire year ahead of her.”

      “Really? You look older,” the boy we had just met said, studying my face.

      “Yeah, I get that a lot,” I stared down, unsure of what to say, really.

      “So, are you two together?”

      “No! He’s my older brother’s best friend!” I said quickly, burying any suspicions. If I had been drinking something, I would have spewed everywhere in surprise of the accusation. Dating Jake Anderson... What a weird thing to think about. Besides, I was with Nick.

      “But we would totally make a cute couple,” Jake said, putting his arm over my shoulder.

      “No thanks,” I snorted.

      “Why not?”

      “I’m kind of in a relationship already,” I rolled my eyes.

      “Oh, come on! You’re in a relationship? Seriously? So, I have no chance with you?” Carter said.

      “Nope. Sorry, dude. Speaking of my boyfriend, I believe that’s him,” I said, pointing to Nick, as he and Phillip made their way into the lodge with the largest smiles on their faces that begged to compete with the one that was on mine as I saw them. Seeing others happy always made me happy.

      “I love skiing!” Nick said, pulling me into a freezing cold hug.

      “Yes, I am aware,” I said. “Carter, this is my boyfriend, Nick.”

      “I have to go,” Carter stated, nodding his head at Jake and I before disappearing.

      “So, what’d you guys do?” Nick asked once Carter was out of sight.

      “We went skating,” I said.

      “You went skating?” he repeated.

      “Yes,” I affirmed with a nod of my head.

      “Did you have fun?” was his follow-up question.

      “Elle fell. Ha! That rhymes,” Jake interjected, denying me the opportunity to answer.