Chapter Five

Chapter Five

       “Elle, how are you?” Gina uncharacteristically asked, stopping me in the hall on my way to a free period, which I was planning on spending in the library with Nick and John.

       “Sore,” I said, rubbing my leg. I had just gotten out of a math class, where we had a big test. I was at a table with John, and he was directly across from me. He thought it would be “funny” to kick me in the shin multiple times, until I finally got agitated. I ended up kicking him pretty hard in the knee.

       “That’s too bad. I really love your pants! Are they True Religion?” she asked in regards to my jeans. In this world, filled with brand obsessed rich girls, if someone notices what brand your clothes are, it’s considered a “compliment”. I never understood it, and always thought it was pretty dumb.

       “Umm… yeah,” I said, trying to figure out her angle. She was acting strangely nice to me.

       “Cool! We need to talk!” she smiled.

       “Where’s Rosie?” I asked, noticing her partner in crime was nowhere in sight.

       “Paris...” she grumbled, rolling her eyes.

       “Uh huh. Look, I really don’t have time to talk now, sorry,” I said, turning to go. She grabbed my wrist, restricting me from leaving.

       “No! Look Elle, we may not get along very well, and maybe we never will, but there’s something you need to know!” she said, trying to look me in the eyes.

       “Let go of my wrist!” I yelled. Once she did, I started to walk away.

       “Where are you going?” she demanded.

       “To the library,” I said, instantly regretting the fact that I had stupidly revealed my next location.

       “I’m coming with, and then I’ll tell you,” she said, catching up to me.

       “No thanks.”

       “Sorry, but Elle, you really don’t have a choice,” she said.

       When we got to the library I saw Nick and John sitting at a table, and I wanted nothing more than to go over and join them. Alas, Gina pulled me into one of the countless rows of books, not allowing me to escape. She sat down on the crimson carpet, and motioned for me to come join her. As much as I didn’t want to, I did so compliantly.

       “It’s about Phillip,” she finally said.

       “Yeah, you've made it your mission to ruin his life, I get it,” I rolled my eyes.

       “Whatever. I’m not trying to ruin his life, I’m trying to make it better, by adding me to it,” she justified.

       “I honestly wish you could hear yourself talk sometimes...” I laughed.

       “Jillian wants to go out with Phillip!” she blurted out, concerned.

       “Jillian wants to go out with Phillip?” I repeated.

       “Yeah. Let’s just say that I made Jillian mad, and now she wants to wreck my life!” she over exaggerated.

       “Like you’re doing to Phillip?” I inquired.

       “You don’t get it! She knows that I like Phillip, so now she has openly declared war! You know that she won’t stop until she gets him to go out with her!” she exclaimed.