Chapter 20 (The End)

In October, Alice was informed by her father that she would be attending the event of the year with them.  He had gotten her a ticket and it had been very expensive, so she could not let them down.  The fundraiser was to restore an old New York theater.

What was it they said about karma? She must have done something really bad in her former life.

"You'll enjoy it. The entertainment for the evening will be Cassandra Stevens.  You remember her don't you? We attended one of her concerts last fall," her father reminded her.

Alice did her best to get out of it, even going as far as to say she had nothing to wear to such an event. She was desperate not to attend. Her father would have none of it, and he insisted that her sister and mother would pick her up the next afternoon so that they could all go shopping together.   

When her mother and Madeline showed up at her door they were shocked by her appearance.

"Aren't you eating dear?" her well turned out mother asked.  She could never remember her mother ever having a hair out of place.  Even when they were growing up, she wouldn't come out of her room until she had dressed for the day. Her blond hair was pulled back into a chignon and she was wearing a burgundy Chanel suit. "You have always had a healthy appetite."

"That's putting it mildly mother," Madeline said, looking at her phone.  She was wearing a black knit dress with matching knee high boots, and her blond hair was loose and curling around her shoulders.

In comparison to the well turned out ladies, Alice was wearing an old sweater and a well-worn pair of jeans.

"I've been busy," was all Alice said.

"Have you been ill dear, you look extremely pale?"

"No, mother, I'm fine. I've just been living in the library. There's not much sun there."

"Well, your new slimmed down size is in vogue, but your color will be hard to match, maybe a pink?"

In the end they did decide on a light pink formal gown.  The bodice was tight fitting and shaped like a heart, making her narrow waist look even smaller. The dress was backless and strapless so her shoulders and back were shown to their full advantage, and the full organza skirt fell away from the small waist and to the floor in a dramatic fashion.

The sales lady had insisted that she looked like a delicate china doll, and it was agreed that she would wear her hair piled high on her head.

Alice was sure that her sister and mother were enjoying dressing her as they would a doll.

The next week passed much too quickly for Alice, she kept hoping she would come down with some violent illness or that the event would be cancelled. When none of these seemed likely she started to think that maybe she would go unrecognized, or even better, they would all just give her a polite nod and leave it at that.

She knew most of the Stevens family would be there to support Cassie and Grace.

This time, her family, as if sensing she didn't want to go, were in the car when it arrived. Her father actually came to the door to make sure she was ready.

It was the first time that she had seen Frank since Rainer had forced him out of her apartment, and he glared at her across the backseat of the limo as it made its way to their destination.

"You look lovely dear." Her mother approved.

"Thank you mother." Alice looked at Frank. "How are you enjoying holding city office Frank."

"I'm enjoying it," he said, in no mood to elaborate.

The conversation for the rest of the car ride was stilted.