Chapter 4

Jeans didn't help Rainer thought as he rose when she entered the restaurant the following morning.

When she spotted him she gave him a warm smile and headed right towards him. He couldn't help noticing some of the appreciative male glances that looked her way. She wasn't classically beautiful but she had a look of youth and innocence that made men want to either automatically protect her or use her.

Her short hair was still damp and she wore no make-up. How many women had the confidence to pull off no make-up? He noticed the smattering of freckles across her pert nose. The jeans that he was hoping would help were well-fitted and she had on a thin cotton t-shirt that hugged her torso. Her dress yesterday may have shown some skin but it at least hadn't had clung to her curves. Her face looked like she was sixteen but her curves were definitely all woman.

He gave a strained smile.

"You O.K.," she asked noticing his strain. "Didn't you sleep well?" She laid her napkin in her lap as she settled into her seat.

The waitress was with them the minute she sat down. This time she was tall and thin with a mountain of dark hair piled in her head but she was obviously just as interested in Rainer as the one yesterday had been. He wasn't a vain man, and he by no means thought that every woman was interested in him, but he had learned to read the signals of an interested woman over the years.

Rainer gave her one of his killer smiles focusing on her and not Alice.

"I bet you get a phone number this time." Alice whispered as the waitress left.

Rainer shook his head at her teasing while picking up the menu.

"So Al, what are you having this morning?" he asked. He shortened her name hoping it would make her feel more like a friend.

She seemed not to notice as she scanned the menu. "I'll have an omelet today."

Rainer had seen her eat twice and he was shocked that she was going for an omelet only, that was until he heard her order it. She asked for everything imaginable and extra cheese plus a side of hash browns and a fruit plate. "For dessert." She said.

She had to be the only person he knew who had dessert at breakfast. When he said as much she laughed out loud.

"I never thought about it that way. I just have a really big sweet tooth." She sipped her water. She had taken his lemon again and squeezed it into her glass. "As I said yesterday my mother tells me it's unattractive for a woman to eat so much but I think it is even less attractive if my stomach starts growling."

"How is it a young beautiful girl like you isn't married?" He leaned back sipping his coffee watching her blush at the compliment. He was hoping she had a boyfriend that way he had a reason not to think of her legs.

Alice shrugged "I came close once. How about you, how come such a handsome and famous man such as yourself isn't married?"

"I came close once." He frowned, "I'll have to tell my mother I'm famous next time she tries to make me help around the house, maybe it will get me out of having to do any work." He said changing the subject. The last thing he wanted was to tell that story, even his family didn't know that story. He had no idea why he had even mentioned it.

"I am sure she knows you're famous. That's kind of the point of being famous."

Rainer just shook his head. In his family fame was the norm but he wasn't going to tell her that either.

"So you're not married but you must have a guy in New York who is upset and will be coming down here to tell me off for keeping you from him for a few extra weeks." He knew if the situation was reversed he would do that very thing.