Chapter 7

The drive to Fredericksburg was not a very long one, and when they arrived she thought the town was charming. The main street had been restored and the old stone buildings, with their tin roofs, looked cozy and hospitable in the warm afternoon sun.

"What a wonderful place, it almost feels like an old Western town."

"It is an old Western town as I'm sure your will discover during your research tomorrow." Rainer turned the large truck down a little dirt road, stopping in front of what looked like an old log cabin.

"You wait here while I check-in," he insisted as he exited the truck. Alice took the moment to look at him without getting caught, and she couldn't help sighing at the sight of him.

"Get it together girl, next you'll be drooling just like every other female in his company," she reprimanded herself aloud. Hearing the words made her feel more confident that she could follow her own advice.

The truck was starting to get a little warm. He had left the air conditioning on but without the forward movement of the vehicle the air was not reaching her. She closed her eyes and leaned forward in front of the side air vent.

What was taking him so long? Knowing him, he probably found a pretty girl to flirt with.

She closed her eyes against the sun, she really needed to buy a pair of sunglasses; she pulled at the collar of her shirt so that the cold air shot directly down her shirt and across her heated skin, and she was startled when the door to the truck opened and Rainer was eyeing her from behind his sunglasses.

"What! It's hot as Hades in here."

Rainer didn't say anything as he got into the truck and put it into reverse. "You realize that it is only a little over ninety degrees right?" he asked after a moment.

"Are you saying that for dramatic effect or are you trying to make a point?" She felt a little bit embarrassed that she had been caught with her shirt down so to speak.

"I knew you didn't eat enough lunch." He seemed amused by her ill humor.

"I am not hungry, I'm hot." she insisted through gritted teeth.

"The average daily temperature for this time of year is the low nineties. If it were really hot it would be above the century mark."

Alice realized that she could continue a pointless argument or just let it go, but arguing was directing her nervous energy.

"Well bully for Texas!" She all but shouted, not having a ready comeback handy.

"O.K. Teddy, here we are," Rainer said pulling up to the little cabin that was similar to the one he had checked in at.

Alice's decent from the truck was a little less awkward but no less slow than the last time.

"Come on slow poke, let's get changed, we have places to be."

That surprised Alice, she thought they would be spending the evening in, working.

Rainer had grabbed both of their bags and opened the cabin door before she had closed the truck's door, appearing to no longer be bothered in the least by their close quarters situation.

When Alice caught up to him he was unloading his pockets on top of a small dresser. "Close the door Alice, your letting all the cold air out."

Alice slammed the door behind her, letting it ease some of her frustration.

"Where are we going?" she asked in her sweetest voice.

"Dancing." He turned to her with a wary eye.