Chapter 3

Alice knocked on Rainer's door. They had parted after breakfast with the agreement that she would meet him in his room at three o'clock sharp and he would catch her up on the project and give her instructions.

When he opened the door he had the phone to his ear while motioning for her to come into the room. "No, tell Ray I cannot do the story right now.  I'm in Texas for three weeks, then I'm in London for a week, then I have to fly to China and I will be there for at least two weeks.  If he wants me to do it the earliest I can get to it is August."

He was a real traveler the only place that Alice had ever been to was Paris for a senior trip in high school and she had hated every minute. She couldn't imagine what it would be like to live out of a suitcase.

She tried not to listen as he wrapped up his conversation and when he was done he fell backwards on the bed. "Is it nap time yet?"

"I already had mine thank you." His shirt had ridden up and she could see his flat muscular abs. She had to fight the urge not to stare as she looked hard at the painting on the wall above his bed. 

"You have a real mean streak don't you." He said lifting his head and looking at her.

She gave a weak smile then moved to the table by the window sitting on the edge of one of the chairs.

He watched her as he sat up on the bed. "What's wrong, you look tense?"

"I'm not used to being in hotel rooms with men I just met."

"Another thing your parents would look down on?" He got off of the bed and sat in the chair across from her, no doubt in an attempt to make her more comfortable.

"Oh I doubt it, not once they knew it was the famous Rainer Stevens that I was in the hotel room with."

Rainer frowned at her comment considering it.

"So what is this research job?" she asked changing the subject hoping he would let the comment go with out further questions. She had known him less than twenty-four hours but she got the impression that he could be like a dog with a bone if he wanted an answer about something. Luckily, this time, he let her comment slide by unexplained. She would have to watch what she said in the future much more carefully.

"I had six weeks to start with but, due to scheduling conflicts, I now only have three weeks.  I'm writing a series of articles on the ghost towns of Texas.  Some are the traditional tumbleweed image but others are towns that were swallowed up by larger cities.  Sometimes the only remaining proof that they existed is an old cemetery in the middle of a bustling city.  I'll be busy tracking down people to interview but I need someone to spend time in the Texas archives as well as each county's records departments digging up the history for my article."

Alice thought about it. It would be a challenge since she didn't have any local contacts but his name should open doors. "How many ghost towns are we talking about?"

"I am shooting for fifteen but hoping for twelve.  I've already gotten interviews for three in the Dallas area.  I thought we would head down to Fredericksburg tomorrow and then we'll move on to San Antonio."

"Fifteen towns in three weeks," it was impossible.  At least he actually needed her help and wasn't just asking for it out of pity.  "Well we had better get to work.  What are these cities called and what information have you gathered so far?"

Rainer grinned at her and rose to get his travel satchel from the bed." I like your style Alice."

Alice gave a weak smile in return as she swallowed hard.  This was going to be a challenging job in more ways than one.  It was bad enough when he smiled but when he said her name, she gave a shiver at the thought of all the different ways he could say her name.

"You O.K.," Rainer asked noticing it.

She would have to be careful with her imagination he was very observant.  "Yes, it's just a little chilly in here. I'll bring a sweater next time."

"O.K. let's get to work."

*******

They worked nonstop until just after nine o'clock. They had ordered room service but worked while they ate dinner making the meal friendly but not overly intimate since they were having it in his room.

"I suppose I should ask how much you're paying me.  That would be the responsible thing to do." Alice threw down her note pad then stood up and stretched.

She didn't notice Rainer's look of appreciation at her legs as her dress rose a few inches when she stretched and then plopped back down in her seat. She also missed the fact that he was staring just as hard at her chest as he had the waitresses earlier that morning when she pushed her elbows against the back of her chair to pop her back.  It was a habit she had acquired from too many hours sitting in a library without moving and she had never realized how it thrust her ample breasts forward, but many of her fellow study partners had just as Rainer had.

Rainer named a figure that made Alice's brown eyes widen. "Are you sure that seems a little high."

"That's what I pay my research assistants generally." Rainer rose from his chair and turned the air condition down.  He had turned it up earlier but now he was feeling decidedly warm.

"You might want to wear a pair of jeans to travel in tomorrow.  We have a long car ride." Rainer suggested casually. He didn't think he could handle having her in one of her short little sundresses next to him in a truck all day.  She may not have the longest legs in the world but he was finding them very distracting.

Alice shrugged as she rose. If she thought it was an odd request she didn't say.

"I'll see you in the dining room for breakfast at seven." Rainer said in his best dismissive voice letting her know that they were done for the day.

Alice nodded then smiled. "Sounds good, good night then." and much to his relief she took the hint and left with little ceremony.

As the door closed he fell back onto the bed with a groan while rubbing his face with his hands. The last thing he needed was an affair. She looked too sweet and innocent for that anyway.  She seemed totally unaware of her appeal which made her even sexier. She was a tiny little thing couldn't stand much more than five feet but she had ample curves that were in all the right places.

He stood up, what he needed was a cold shower. Then he would map out tomorrow's route.  He would not think of Alice that way again. Hopefully having her fully covered in jeans would help him tomorrow.