June 24, 2001

Chapter 9

Philippines

Troubles

3:10 p.m.

After school, the two best friends, Jon and Alfrey, took their time walking back home.

"Dude. There's this new PlayStation game! Everyone said it's awesome. There's a lot of action and shooting and zombies!" 

Jon laughed at his friend, who made hand movements while he talked.

"Yeah, but we don't have money to buy it," replied Jon, sighing. 

Alfrey groaned. "You don't need to remind me. Oh!" He turned to his friend and smirked. "How did your confession go?"

Jon looked away, smiling. 

"Come on man, spill the beans! Did she say yes?" 

"Maybe." 

"Dude. You always do this! Tell me!"

"If you treat me to ChowKing."

Alfrey glared for a minute. "This better be worth it."

Jon grinned as they both changed directions to go to ChowKing. Once they got inside the restaurant, their eyes widened as the store was packed. Every seat was taken or shared while the line had to curve since if it was straight, it could reach from the cashier to the other side of the street.

"Ow!" yelled Alfrey as someone bumped into him. The person said sorry and stormed out the restaurant. "Dang. They could at least be a bit careful."

"It's not their fault they want to breathe," Jon said sarcastically.

They glanced around for a free table. It was hard since they could barely see a foot away without getting bumped into another person. Soon, they could barely even move. 

"D-Damn. Dude. Let's get out of here. Food can wait," said Alfrey, walking toward the door. 

Once outside, Jon's stomach growled. 

"Sorry dude, but that place is too packed. I'll treat you tomorrow so tell me if she rejected you or not!" At that moment, Alfrey's stomach also growled. "Um, maybe I'll treat you right now."

Jon laughed. "Jollibee then."

Alfrey groaned. "That restaurant? Come on. It's embarassing to go in there. We're high schoolers!"

"Do you want to find out or not?" Jon raised an eyebrow, smirking.

Alfrey huffed. "Oookaayyy!"

They changed directions again and headed to Jollibee. The place wasn't as packed as ChowKing, but it was filled with kids running around. The reason was because someone had a birthday party and the Jollibee mascot came out, getting trampled by kids yet his smile stayed there. 

"Creepy mascot." 

"Just get the food," responded Jon.

After ordering two cheeseburgers and sodas, they sat down far away from the birthday crowd. Though they were far away, the squeals of the kids irked Alfrey.

"So, what did she say?"

"Can't I finish my food first?" 

"Don't stall man! I already paid for that," Alfrey remarked, pointing at the bitten burger his friend was holding.

Jon swallowed his burger and smiled. "Yeah."

"So you're going to tell me?" Alfrey's eyes shone.

"I told you already."

Alfrey tilted his head in confusion. "Huh?"

"She said yes."

"Woah. Dude! Really? So let me get this straight. The most popular girl in the whole high school is going out with you now?" 

Jon rolled his eyes. "Do I need to repeat it?"

Alfrey threw his hands up and laughed. "I can't believe it, man! You're going out with the Carla Montez! That's just unbelievable."

"Well, you better believe it." 

5:13 p.m.

"Well, see you tomorrow?" asked Jon as they neared Alfrey's house.

Alfrey raised an eyebrow. "Shouldn't you be spending the weekend with your new girlfriend?"

"Well, I don't know. What if she says no?" 

Alfrey groaned. "Dude. She's your girlfriend now! Call her. If you don't she can't say yes either."

Jon smiled. "Alright. Well, see you at school on Monday then?"

Alfrey winked before heading up his front door. "Have fun!"

When Jon reached his house, he did his daily routine. Say hi to his parents and go up to his room until dinner. The only different thing he did was take out his phone to call a girl.

He took out his phone and hesitated before punching in Carla's number.

At the third ring, she picked up. "Hello?"

Jon swallowed. "H-Hey, Carla."

"Oh." She didn't sound enthusiastic. "Hey Jon! What's up?"

He froze, but shook his head and ignored the thought. "Just asking if you, um, want to hang out tomorrow?"

There was a five second silence before she replied again. "Hm? Oh! Sure! Of course." 

Jon's eyes widened. "R-Really? I mean, okay. Let's meet tomorrow at 2 in front of the park?"

"Sure. Okay." 

"So, see you then?" 

The other end of the phone was already dead before he could receive an answer. Jon took his phone away from his ear and stared at it. 

"Well, see you there, I guess." He closed his phone but there was a doubt in his mind. "Maybe."