Layrica

Unknown

Layrica

A low growl behind me got closer until it was next to me. 

"You've done well." 

I didn't respond. I stared at the moon that mimicked a sunset, its white glow touching and reflecting on the dark, black water. 

"How are they doing?" I asked.

"Enjoying their time in Heaven, just like I promised."

I looked up at the stars, the twinkling shine catching my eyes. 

"What is it like in Heaven?" 

He followed my gaze, his furry neck stretching upward with his head. "Bright."

"Like the stars?"

"Yes, like the stars." 

"I heard that it was like the sun; warm and calming."

His head darted to me. "And where did you hear this?"

"Some monks I passed by along the way," I responded, looking at his black, soulless eyes.

He sat, his front legs straight and his hind legs bent, blending with his dark fur. 

"Can I go there?" 

He didn't reply. 

"I can't, can I?" 

"Do you need me to repeat our deal?" 

I shook my head. 

"Then you already know the answer to your question," he answered, getting up on all fours as he walked toward the dark ocean. I followed.

"What is the stars like?" I asked as soon as we were inches away from the motionless sea. 

"Bright as well."

"Why doesn't the sun come up here?"

"Because the sun can hurt you just by looking at it. If you stay with it too long, you'll burn." 

"What's it like to burn?"

He lifted his head to look at me in the eyes. "Intoxicating. Pain. Suffering."

"What's that like?"

"For only those who deserve it."

"Do I deserve it?" 

He stared at me. "No, Circe." 

A small wave emerged from the still water, touching my toes. In the human world, water is wet, but here in Layrica, the water feels like fire. 

"Look, Circe." He nodded slightly toward the ocean.

I followed his muzzle, but I already knew what I would see. Souls rising from the dark liquid. Souls of those who were sent to Hell with unfinished revenge.

Akakios turned around and headed back toward the Wythe Garden, his black tail swaying as he walked. "You know what to do." 

I turned back to the ghosts, who were now floating toward the garden. I blocked their path.

They spoke in a foreign language of the devil, telling me to move aside. 

I shook my head as their faces scrunched up in rage, eager to get their revenge. I frowned.

The souls charged at me, but was shortly stopped by their chained collars that were attached somewhere under the water to their necks, guarded by the Ziphyrs. They choked, but didn't stop struggling. One of them broke free and followed Akakios in the garden. 

The human photo of the soul appeared in my hand. I whistled and the run-away soul turned back to me. 

Once I got its attention, I turned around and started to dip the photo in the water. It started to melt, along with a sizzling sound. The soul slithered and twitched from all directions. Soon after, it burst into blood red fire.

Turning back toward the other souls, they swam back underwater, fear of being tortured enveloping them. Another collar has been emptied. 

Though the collar dissappeared when one of the Ziphyrs pulled on the chain, it waits for another tainted soul to take its place. 

I looked up at the stars. I don't know if I want to know or if I don't. What is it like to be human? They are free to do everything, yet reasons stop them. Pain. Fear. Hate. Revenge.

When was I human?