August 4,1882

Chapter 1

Japan

Irozaki Household. Farmers.

6:20 p.m.

"Ryo! Get yourself back in this house, right now!" yelled Mrs. Irozaki.

"But, mom. Suzu is going to show me the shrine where they curse peop-" Ryo got cut off with the slap of her mother.

"I-It's okay, Ryo. I'll show you tomorrow." Suzu ran back toward her house, frightened of Mrs. Irozaki.

Ryo held back tears. She was thinking how she hates her mother for scaring away her friends. Hating her mother how she yells. Hating her mother for being the way she is.

"Mother! You're scaring away my friends!" Ryo yelled back, her tiny voice coming out a squeak.

Mrs. Irozaki grabbed her arm. "Your silly friends don't care about you anyway! Now your father is going to be mad that you're dirty for dinner!"

Ryo tried to shake loose, but her mom's grip was tight. "Mom! Stop! Please... It hurts!"

"Then stop fighting me and get inside the house or else!" Mrs. Irozaki was referring to the metal hanger she smacks Ryo with when she's not behaving.

"No! Mom! Please! Not that..." Ryo cried, her arm going on a weird angle as her mom pulled her into the house.

They went into the kitchen. Mrs. Irozaki was making chicken soup, which smelled of vinegar.

"Stop crying, Ryo! You know how I hate that!"

Ryo sniffled. "I- I- I'm s-sorry."

Mrs. Irozaki harrumphed and placed a bowl of vinegar chicken soup infront of Ryo. "Eat up, and finish all of it!"

"B-But-" Ryo grimaced at the smell.

"My mother always said that eating a whole bowl is good for the soul, so don't you dare waste it!"

Ryo held her nose and put a spoonful in her mouth. She squinted her eyes and swallowed.

Mr. Irozaki came into the room. He repairs wells and bridges in other villages.

"Sweetie!" Mrs. Irozaki smiled.

Mr. Irozaki hid his disgusted face from the smell in the kitchen. He cleared his throat, placed his 'lunchbox' on the table, and sat down across from Ryo. "What's for dinner?"

"Chicken soup! Made it myself." Actually, Mrs. Irozaki got it from the recipe the neighbors made. She added more stuff in it to make it taste 'better'.

"Yum!" Mr. Irozaki already ate. He lied about what time his work ends. His job ends at 7 p.m. but he told Mrs. Irozaki 8 p.m. He goes to his friend's house to eat there and drink sake.

"Here you go," Mrs. Irozaki said, placing a bowl infront of her husband.

When his wife wasn't looking, he would place spoonfuls in his 'lunchbox' and say it was delicious.

Ryo begged for him to do that for her too, but Mr. Irozaki said the soup will do her good.

After dinner, Ryo didn't finish her bowl so she secretly dumped the remaining in the sink. "Mom, can I go to my room and color?"

Her mother was too busy sewing and didn't reply, so Ryo took it as a yes and sneaked out the kitchen and into her room. She slid her door closed and took out the only crayon she had that Suzu gave her. She started coloring the textbook she got in her school.

"RYO IROZAKI! COME IN HERE, RIGHT NOW!" Ryo jumped up and ran to her mother.

"Y-Yes, mother?" Ryo shook in fear as her mother glared at her with blood-shot eyes.

"What is this on the sink?!" She asks, pointing in the sink.

Ryo walks to the sink and looks. There was a chicken's foot lying in the corner of the sink. Ryo looks back at her mom.

Mrs. Irozaki grabbed it and put it infront of Ryo's face. "Did you dump all your food in here while I wasn't looking?!"

Ryo shook. "N-No."

Mrs. Irozaki slapped Ryo hard on the face. Ryo tumbled back and sat on the floor, tears coming out of her eyes. She quickly got up and left the house while Mrs. Irozaki swore every word she could think of.

Mother hates me. Everyone hates me because of her. I wish she would just die. I wish she could just disappear.

Ryo wiped away her tears as she made her way inside of the Shiori household.

"Ryo! What happened?" asked Suzu, looking at Ryo's cheek, frightened..

"M-My mom hit me." Ryo cried again.

Suzu expression changed into sadness. "I-I'll go get my mom."

Ryo stopped her. "W-Where's the shrine?"

Suzu's eyes widened. "You mean where they curse people?"

Ryo nodded slowly.

"B-But i-its dangerous to go at night." Ryo looked at Suzu with such a sad expression that Suzu gave up and led the way to the shrine.

I watched them. I watched them go around the village church and went to the back, meeting the shrine that was said to bring peace. Peace will never come as long as there are tainted hearts in this world.

"I can just ask my mom you know. Y-You don't have to c-curse your mo-"

Ryo cut her off by writing her name on the paper provided infront of the shrine. The paper was meant to be a note for blessings.

"R-Ryo..."

Ryo finished writing her name on the paper. "What do I do now?"

Suzu frowned and looked at the trees behind the shrine. Ryo started walking toward them and placed the paper on the tree.

"Curse my mother."

I was summoned by a girl named, Ryo Irozaki. She summoned me to kill her mother.