Chapter 57

"That's wonderful Wani!"

"But what will the council say when they find out? We don't have an excuse!"

"Don't worry Wani, Balin is on the council and Fili has a good reputation with them. I'm sure it'll be ok. Now, about that code I want you to crack..." I handed her the parchment.

"This is just a bunch of numbers. What's the context?"

"I don't think that's something we want to discuss here."

"Alright. We'll go up to the lounge and if there's anyone there, we'll go to one of our rooms."

"Good idea." I helped her up and we set off at as fast a pace as my baby bump would allow without straining myself.

Fortunately, there was nobody in the lounge when we got there so we sat down.

"Ok, tell me the exact context these numbers came in."

"You know those wild cat attacks?"

"Yeah."

"Well, there were a few new developments while you were unconscious." I related the details.

"This is as clear as day! Those numbers are a name."

"How?"

"Ok, this first number here, eighteen, corresponds to the eighteenth letter in the alphabet."

"It's all so clear now! How could I be so stupid?!"

"Don't take it personally, this is why I'm the code breaker."

"Want help?"

"No, I just want a quill and a new piece of parchment."

"You can get those yourself. I'm not getting up."

"But I'm pregnant!"

"Look who you're talking to!" I pointed to my stomach. She growled.

"Fine. I'll get them myself."

"Get what yourself?" Thorin's voice came from the direction of the door.

"Wani just wanted a quill and some parchment."

"For what?"

"She's going to write something down for me."

"What?"

"What's with all the questions love?"

"Well, I am taking the day off to spend some time with you."

"Point made."

"I just cracked a code for her, that's all."

"A code?"

"Wani..." I groaned.

"What code?"

"This one. The one the numbers the mystery man said yesterday? They're a name. It'll only take me a few minutes to decipher it."

"You went to the Healing Hall yesterday, didn't you. Against my wishes."

"Thorin, you were keeping important information from me against MY wishes!" I was starting to get mad, "And because of me, we'll know who's behind the attacks and from there, probably what they want!"

"Mereniver, I don't want you stressing about this, it's bad for the twins!"

"I know, but it's just as bad when you keep information like this from me, it's almost as if you have dragon sickness again!" That was a low blow and it took me a moment to realize what I had said. Thorin's face fell and he backed away from me. He wouldn't meet my gaze. "Thorin, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that."