Chapter 40

I had been so stupid! I had pulled myself out of the water so I was sitting on the rim. Leaving my pregnant stomach completely exposed.

"Mom, there's nothing-oh......" Tunvan spotted it. The telltale outie bellybutton of pregnancy. Mom was in shock. Wani, dad, and Dis were trying to see what they were talking about but the elves were just sitting there knowing looks on their faces. Tunvan looked like he wanted to throttle Thorin, who had an expression between shock, guilt, and fear when he saw my brother's reaction. "You did this!" Tunvan all but dove for Thorin, pushing him into the water and holding him on the bottom.

"Thorin!" I cried. He grabbed my tail.

"Why do you care about him?! You're barely of age and that dwarf, who just happens to be older than grandpa would be if he was still alive, impregnated you?!"

"It was one time, Tunvan, ONCE and it was MY idea, not his. Let. Him. Go." When Tunvan refused, I didn't hesitate to heat up the water around him until he let go and moved away from my love, allowing him to surface. Thorin drew in deep, controlled breaths but I could tell that he had been caught off-guard by Tunvan's sudden attack. I pushed myself over to him and threw my arms around his neck, wrapping my tail around one of his legs for support. Thorin put his arms around me, one on my back and the other held my neck.

"Are you alright?" I asked frantically.

"I'm fine, little siren. Thanks to you."

"Don't ever scare me like that again!"

"I wouldn't dream of it." With that, he pulled me in for a kiss but before we could get too far, my father spoke up.

"Alright, alright that's long enough. I'll accept your relationship for now but listen well Oakenshield. If you ever do anything to hurt my daughter again, I'll make you wish you never met her."

"Dad!"

"It's ok Mereniver." He whispered to me, "I wouldn't dream of hurting your daughter in any way sir I love her with all my heart and soul but you should know that a mistake from the Blue Mountains is here and she hasn't quite accepted that it's over between us."

"Oh really? How do I know you won't cheat on my daughter with her then?"

"If I do, it will be unwillingly. She will have to force me."

"How do I know you won't fake it? That she is 'forcing' you."

"If he has an affair with Doryan willingly, I'll die instantly but if she is forcing him, I'll know and I'll be able to stop it." My father ignored the collective gasps.

"I have one more condition."

"What is it?"

"Don't make out with her where I can see it."

"Donvan!" Mom laughed, "How many times did my father say that to you because you disobeyed him?"

"More than a few." He admitted. Everyone laughed.

"So Arwen, where are my cats?"

"Momo won't have her kittens for a couple months still but she is much slower than before. There is a separate group coming with them and we expect they should get here within the week.

"I had forgotten about them." Thorin said thoughtfully, "They will be very useful for keeping the rodent levels down."

"Mereniver," Mom began hesitantly, "How far along are you? In your pregnancy I mean."

"Oh, about a month and a half I think."

"Have you been getting morning sickness?"

"Yes, almost every morning and it doesn't look like there is anything I can do about it."