Chapter 39

Thorin and I followed the guard back to the gate where we found not only Lord Elrond and his children but my parents, Astiwen and Donvan, Tunvan, and Wani Falastur, my best and only friend from my childhood.  All of them were on horseback.  The elves were acting normally but the humans all seemed to be trapped between fear, curiosity, and awe.  Wani was the first to see us, well me, at the top of the arch.

"Mereniver!"

Love, who are the others?  I've only met your brother and I don't want to embarrass myself.

Well, the one closest to Lord Elrond is my mother Astiwen, the man is my father Donvan, and the other girl is my age.  Her name is Wani and she's my oldest friend, the only one who stuck with me even when I started keeping secrets.

You mean the secret?

Yep.  I'm actually kinda surprised she's here but I'm happy that she is.

Why are you surprised?

Well, both of her parents died a few years back so she's been running their bakery in Bree on her own.

Ah.  We should let them in then?

Yes, but I think it would raise questions if I gave the order and was listened to.  Remember, Tunvan is the only one who knows about us and my secret.  None of them know I'm pregnant although, knowing Lord Elrond, he will know it by just looking at me.  I'm starting to get a bit of an outie bellybutton.

Very well. Open the gate!"  He shouted.  Metal creaked and groaned as the heavy barred doors swung open, granting entrance to the waiting visitors outside.  They all trotted in in a formation.  Lord Elrond leading the way, my family and friend flanked by his sons and Arwen bringing up the rear. They came to a halt in the gathering space below us and dismounted.

"Mereniver!"  I ran down the stairs to greet my parents waiting for me at the bottom.  They embraced me so tightly I thought they would be able to feel my tiny baby bump but if they did, they made no comment on it.

"You had us all worried sick!  How could you run away like that?  Where did you go?  How do you know Lord Elrond?  Never mind that, how did you end up halfway across the world?!  Are you alright?  No one hurt you did they?  Who's that dwarf behind you?"

"One question at a time, you two, at this rate, she'll be ten years older before she can answer anything!" Wani laughed.  My parents released me and I went to embrace her as well.  Then I went on to Tunvan.

"They don't know, do they." I whispered to him.

"No, but all three of them know that you are hiding something from them and that I know what it is but that is yours to tell, not mine." He whispered back.

"Thank you."

"Mereniver."  I looked up to see Lord Elrond standing not far off with a knowing look on his face.

Told you! I wasn't looking but I could tell that Thorin rolled his eyes.

Elves. Barely suppressing laughter, I moved on to Arwen, Elladan, and Elrohir before hugging Elrond last.  He loosed his grip on me as soon as he came into contact with my stomach.

"Congratulations."

"On what?"

"On both of your new developments.  I spotted the ring just now and I can feel your miniscule baby bump."

"Quiet!" I hissed, "Thorin is the only one who knows!"

"If I had to guess, that is probably going to change very soon."  We walked over to where everyone else was gathered and from what I could see, Thorin had just introduced himself.