Chapter 36

Six days had passed since Fenriel had made her prediction. Gandalf and Bilbo had departed for the Shire. I had had morning sickness every morning and quite frankly, I was getting tired of barfing whatever disgusting concoction I had in my stomach first thing in the morning. Oin had tried several medications but none of them had worked, he said the only thing I could do was wait for it to wear off. In about two to three months. My arm was healing up very well according to Oin. Now there were almost no scabs left at all, just faint pink marks. As usual, I threw up again this morning before heading down to the healing hall to see Thorin. He was getting stronger with every passing day, all the remained now of his wound was a scar that looked several years old. When I got there, I knew something was up. Thorin's whole Company (minus Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur) were huddled around Thorin's bed. Fearing the worst, I accelerated to a run and got over to him in a matter of seconds.

"Oin! What's wrong with Thorin?"

"Nothing's wrong. It's quite the opposite, take a look." The dwarves parted so I was right next to his face. I could see that he was beginning to stir, he was twitching and making soft moans in his sleep.

"Thorin." I murmured, "I'm here for you. Open your eyes." His face twitched but he kept his beautiful blue eyes hidden. I reached out with my mind and found that he was fighting for awareness, constantly battling his own exhaustion.

Thorin. You're ok, wake up. Thorin gasped like he had just come up after spending a long time underwater and his eyes shot open. He instantly flinched and squinted in the harsh morning light. He looked around for a moment before he focused on me.

"M-mereniver." His voice was throaty and raw, nothing like the smooth, rich voice he had when we had first met.

"Shhh, don't talk. You've been asleep for about a week so you will be weak. I'll get you some water." I turned to go but Thorin grabbed my hand. I could hardly feel his grip but it was obviously the best he could do right now.

"Don't worry, Mereniver. I'll go get some." Nori dashed off.

"I think that's the first useful thing he's done in a long time." Dori commented. Everyone laughed, even Thorin cracked a smile because, despite Nori's protests, we all knew it was true.

Please. Stay with me. I need you.

I know. It was torture, having you right next to me and knowing that no matter what I tried, you wouldn't hear my pleas and wake up.

Alright, who did it?

Did what?

Rejected you, called you names, hurt you.

Oh no! It's not like that!

Then what? I had confused him. Rolling my eyes, I took his hand and brought it to rest upon my lower stomach. Understanding dawned in his eyes. Morning sickness?

Every morning since the battle. People are now calling it 'the Battle of the Five Armies'.

Ugh! They couldn't come up with a better name? I laughed. Thorin's face went from amused to worried when he remembered something.

What of our nephews? I couldn't help but notice he called them 'ours' not 'his'.

Both of them will be alright. Bolg got Kili but Legolas got him back. You're the first to wake up. Fenriel, Tauriel's sister, predicted that Kili will wake up in a couple weeks and Fili about a month after that. She also said about a week for you six days ago. Thorin nodded, satisfied with my answer.

Where have you been sleeping?

I stayed with you the first night but Oin made me move up to our room after I threw up all over the floor the next morning.