Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Lord Elrond sat patiently and listened as I told my story, asking a few clarifying questions.  When I finished, the expression on his face was not one of fear or suspicion, but awe and admiration.

"Legends say that there were once Mer-Folk who lived in the oceans but they died out during the first age.  They were very secretive and therefore, not much is known about them.  However, in a legend, an elf fell in love with a mermaid and since she could not walk on land, he came and lived near where Rivendell is today.  He wrote everything down about her that he could and we still have those documents today.  I will bring them to you as soon as I can so you can find out more about your situation.  Now, moving on to your wounds, you have three broken ribs and two bruised ones, you will need to eat more than normal until I think you have gained enough weight.  You will not be back to your normal self for about three weeks and for the first week, you will need to take an escort with you wherever you go.  If you are of age, then no drinking until I approve it, your body won't be able to handle it otherwise.  I will check your condition every other day and you need not worry about your secret, it is safe with me.  It is your choice whether or not you choose to go with the dwarves to their destination or back to your family, but no matter what you choose, you will always be welcome here in Rivendell."  The door opened and a beautiful female elf stepped in, she looked much like Lord Elrond with her long, dark brown hair and bright blue eyes.  I attempted to hide my tail as soon as I saw her but I could tell by the look on her face that I had failed.

"This is my daughter, Arwen.  She is as trust-worthy as I am, she offered to let you stay in her room during the duration of your stay, especially while you get over your injuries."

"Really?  Thank you, but you shouldn't have-"

"It is no trouble Lady..."

"Mereniver."

"Lady Mereniver, it's an honor to house a mermaid and while you are here, what's mine is yours."

"I figured you would want the friendship of another female during your stay here, especially since you arrived with the company of fifteen other males, thirteen of which being dwarves!"

"Yes, absolutely.  Thank you for your hospitality."  I picked up Axel, dried my tail, and stood up, to my surprise, my side didn't hurt at all!  I shot a look at Lord Elrond.

"A small painkilling spell, it won't wear off for about a day.  You will be grateful for it when you go to bed tonight.  I will come by your room in a few hours with the information on mermaids and dinner won't be long after that.  You are welcome to explore Rivendell but be sure to keep someone with you."  Arwen was leading me to her room when I saw the dwarves taking a bath in one of the giant fountains in the garden, naked.

"Mereniver!" Ori shouted, "Come and join us!"

"Yeah," Nori added, "The water's not cold at all!"  I did not need to see this.  I turned quickly to walk away, and nearly ran into Thorin.  He laughed,

"I would not recommend joining them unless you want to participate in chicken fights.  Even if you wanted to though, I doubt your new friend there would allow it, and even if she did, Oin certainly wouldn't.  Feel free to sit and watch though."  He smirked at the end.  I was speechless and I knew I my face was bright red with embarrassment.  I looked at Arwen, who was not as red as me, but still a little pink.

"Thank you for your generous offer, Master Thorin, but Mereniver really needs to wash up herself and I want to do something special with her hair for tonight and I'm not sure how long it will take."  I shot her a grateful look, I would never have been able to come up with an excuse that good.