Chapter 24 ~ Another Sad Goodbye

The final chapter of Two Times the Flame. Enjoy!

Harry wasn't beside me when I woke up on the couch. No one was in the Gryffindor Common Room either. It was the last day of school, and I wasn't ready to go back with Malfoy and his father. Then, I thought about seeing him last night. I thought about Voldemort returning. I thought about Cedric.

Cedric. He was dead.

I looked down at the necklace he gave me and teared up a little. I couldn't let go of him. I loved him. He loved me. I just couldn't believe he was gone for good. I remembered when we met. It wasn't really love at first sight, but maybe it was lust at first sight. But that lust turned into love. A beautiful love that was now gone forever.

I went upstairs to pack my things. I saw the note that Cedric gave me when he sent me the dress. It was so cute. My heart fluttered when I first read it. When we first kissed, I immediately felt sparks. When he told me he loved me, it was amazing. The best feeling ever. But now, I couldn't feel that kind of feeling anymore.

"Hello, Max," I looked at the doorway and saw Dumbledore standing there. "How are you?"

"I've been better," I replied.

He came up to me and looked at me while I was still packing. "I know about you and Mr. Diggory. I'm sorry."

"It was just so sudden, you know? One minute he was there and the next..." I trailed off. I didn't want to finish the sentence.

"Max, love is a beautiful thing. But sometimes, it can be tragic as well. What happened to Cedric was not your fault. I know what you saw last night wasn't easy for you. But things will get better. You'll see." With that, he gave me a sad smile and then left the room.

*******

Everyone was in the Great Hall for Cedric.

Dumbledore sat in his chair, thinking about something. Then, he spoke. "Today, we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded, and, most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend."

I started to tear up as he continued. Harry grabbed onto my hand and I squeezed it tight. "Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort! The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory.

"Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me and reminds us that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made, this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain."

I silently cried to myself as Dumbledore finished up his speech about Cedric. Harry looked at me and let me rest my head on his shoulder. No one knew what pain he was talking about. Only I knew. I knew how Cedric really felt. He poured his heart out to me. We told each other everything. Our bond was impossible to break. I felt as though in death that bond will always stay strong.

Before we all left for the summer, everyone was saying goodbye to the Durmstrang boys and the Beauxbatons girls. Fleur and her sister gave Ron a kiss while Viktor said goodbye to Hermione. I just stood there against the wall and thought about Cedric. I watched as they all left the castle and headed back home.

Home. At least they all had one, unlike Harry and I.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione came up to me and started talking. "Do you think we'll ever just have a quiet year at Hogwarts?" Ron asked.

"No," Harry and Hermione replied.

"Everything's going to change now, isn't it?" Hermione asked.

Harry put his hand on her shoulder and looked at her. "Yes."

"Promise you'll write this summer. All of you."

"I won't. You know I won't," Ron said.

"Harry will, won't you?"

"Yeah. Every week," Harry replied.

"Max?"

I just ignored her question. Harry whispered something and the trio left me. I wanted to be alone.

It was like that when we went on the train. I sat in a compartment by myself. I looked out the window and thought about Cedric once again. Tears were running down my face as I thought about him. I caught a glimpse of Harry coming to check up on me, but I ignored him. He understood that I wanted to be alone, so he left. All I wanted to do was cry my eyes out. It was the only thing left for me to do.

When we got to the station, I gave everyone my hugs. Mrs. Weasley didn't ask me any questions, and I was glad that she didn't.

Once it was just me and Harry, he spoke up. "Okay, I'll see you soon." I just looked down at the ground. "Max?" Nothing again. "Max, talk to me."

I looked up at Harry. "Get a haircut, will you?" I blurted out. "You look like a mop with all that hair on your head."

He chuckled a little. "Sure. I'll write to you. Promise you'll write to me?"

"I promise."

He nodded, then gave me a hug. "Everything will be okay. I promise. If you need to talk to anyone, I'm here."

"Thanks, Harry."

"Potter!" I heard Lucius call out.

"I'll see you soon. Love you, Max."

"I love you, too." Once we both parted ways, I quickly wiped my eyes as I walked up to Lucius.

"I'll have you know that we're not going back to Little Whinging," he informed me. "We're going back to Malfoy Manor."

I grabbed my things and put them all in the trunk of the flying car. Once again, I sat in the backseat with Malfoy, who didn't look at me the whole ride. Malfoy Manor was dark and gloomy, like a mansion, secluded from everyone.

Once we went inside the house, I immediately headed for my bedroom. After I shut the door, I went over to the bed and fell asleep.

I was hoping that I wouldn't wake up.

END OF BOOK TWO

A/N: It's done. I finished Two Times the Flame. Now I can work on When Twins Strike Back which is the third book in the series!

I would just like to say thank you for all the support and love you've given me throughout these two books. I wouldn't be writing the Series if it wasn't for you guys so thank you!

Also I would like to give a special shoutout to two amazing girls and that is Audrey (arty_writes) and My wifeyyy (XMrsStephenKingX.) You two commented and voted for every chapter of this book and your love for the series is amazing. I love you two!

So what did you think about the ending? Do you think Max has grown as a character in this book? Comment and let me know!

Comment, vote, tell me how awesome I am while I go click that completed button. Bye for now and love you all! <3333

-A