Chapter 11 ~ The Champions

The next night, the champions for the tournament were going to be chosen. I was hoping that Cedric wasn't chosen to be the Hogwarts champion. It scared me that if he was, then I would never see him again. People died in the tournament. I didn't want that to happen to him.

Everyone came to the Great Hall to see who our champions were. We all sat at a table, talking, and laughing. Of course, I sat with the Gryffindors. Who else would I sit with? Oh, wait, no one.

Dumbledore told everyone to sit down and all the students did as they were told. "The moment you've all been waiting for: The champion selection!"

I looked over at Cedric and he didn't see me at all. I looked back at Dumbledore, who was doing something that looked like some sort of spell. He looked at the goblet and it turned into a fiery red. A piece of paper flew out and Dumbledore caught it. He opened it up and read it.

"The Durmstrang champion, Viktor Krum!" he announced. Durmstrang and the Slytherin table cheered the loudest out of everyone in the room. Viktor got up, shook Dumbledore's hand, and left the Great Hall.

Another piece of paper came out of the goblet and Dumbledore read the name on it. "The champion for Beauxbatons, Fleur Delacour!"

The Beauxbatons girls and the Ravenclaw table started cheering for Fleur as she walked over to Dumbledore, shook his hand as well, and left the Great Hall. There was only the Hogwarts champion left. I started holding Harry's hand tightly. He knew what was wrong when he saw me shaking.

"It's going to be fine," he whispered.

I nodded in response. "I know. But I really don't want him to be chosen."

The last piece of paper came flying out and into Dumbledore's grasp once again. This was it. Who was the Hogwarts champion?

"The Hogwarts champion, Cedric Diggory!"

My heart dropped. After getting pats on the back by his friends, he looked back at me. I looked at him with sadness and his smile almost went away.

"Excellent! We now have our three champions! But in the end, only one will go down in history. Only one will hoist this chalice of champions, this vessel of victory, the Triwizard Cup!" He pointed at the ginormous cup on the table and everyone started cheering.

All of a sudden, the goblet started doing something weird. The fire inside was going crazy. I glanced over at Igor, who did not look happy. Another piece of paper came flying out and started falling down slowly. Dumbledore caught it and looked over what was on the paper.

"Harry and Maxine Potter." Some people heard him mutter under his breath. I didn't believe them. Probably making it up. "Harry and Maxine Potter?"

Oh, crap. He did say our names. Everyone was looking at us and we both tried to hide, but it was no use. Hagrid was shaking his head in disbelief.

"HARRY AND MAXINE POTTER!" Dumbledore yelled, making the entire Great Hall echo.

"Go on, you two. Just go!" Hermione pushed us out in the center of the hall and we started walking towards Dumbledore slowly. We looked at him and I knew that he was puzzled. He gave us the piece of paper and sure enough it had our names up there, big and bold:

Harry and Maxine Potter.

Everyone was whispering stuff around us. They weren't nice things, either.

"They're both cheats!"

"Neither of them are even seventeen yet!"

I glanced over at Malfoy, who was giving me the death glare. We walked past Snape and he looked confused in a way. The other teachers just looked at us. Igor glared at me. He recognized me from this past summer. Moody just gave me the creeps with his eye.