Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"I'm nobody's father. Just like nobody was my father." —Money

I get into the waiting room where everyone is, announcing my presence. "Where is she?"

Capri gets up and comes toward me. "She's in one of the rooms. They told us she just woke up a few minutes ago, but I guess they're running tests on her and the baby to make sure everything is okay."

I notice all Angel's little female entourage sitting there looking shaken up. I don't say anything.

"You don't seem the least bit concerned about your pregnant wife. Aren't you gonna at least pretend to be a little bit more worried about if your child is okay?" Capri said with narrowed eyes. "Oh yeah, I forgot. You don't care about your kid."

"Yeah, and?" I shrug. I didn't have to, it wasn't a crime to be misopedist. "I'm nobody's father. Just like nobody was my father."

"And you're proud of that?" Capri says, with an eyebrow raised.

"I'm elated. Now, you gonna tell me where Angel is?"

"Honestly I don't think it's a good idea for you to see her right now. Give her some space, we'll continue to go over to the house to check on her, but some of the things you said, I mean she's a mess because of you. She was humiliated in a house full of strangers."

He was talking too much, so knowing he wasn't going to give me the room number, I exit and find the reception desk. I give them the information they need so they know the person I came to see was married to me. They direct me to the other end of the hall. I make my way over. When I find the room door is closed, I open it and step inside.

A female in scrubs is blocking my path, looking at me skeptically. "Hello, may I help you?"

"Is Angel Carter in here?"

She tilted her head to the side. "Who are you might I ask?"

"Husband."

She smiles now and steps to the side, allowing me in. The door closes and she goes over to a table that has a bunch of medical tools sprawled out all over. "Angel, your husband is here."

Angel was in a hospital gown sitting on the examination table. Her head was low and she was playing with her fingers, she refused to look up. The tension in the room grew instantly. It was like a furnace being on too high in a room the size of a jail cell.

"So I was just checking on your wife here, making sure everything is okay. I know the news must've gave you quiet a scare and you rushed over here as fast as you could. Angel ended up fainting in the bathroom of you guys' house. She fell extremely hard and hit her head, but not enough for it to cause extensive damage. Probably a big lump is all, but no internal bleeding or anything."

She types something in on her computer, probably documenting Angel's information.

"The reason this happened is because she was under a lot of stress. It had to be something that was really bothering her for it to affect her physically like that. I don't want to be in you guy's business but whatever it is, please try to remember that she is carrying, so try to be as careful as possible and not stress out."

I immediately knew what it was, the divorce papers. She got them. I look at her but she's still looking down. She's stopped playing with her fingers, but her attention is still on the ground. I didn't want things to be like this, I wish it could be different. But as bad as I felt, I think I really did have a real problem. Because I still couldn't bring myself to even look at this woman's belly.