Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"The most intelligent weapon is a dumb mind." —Money

I follow behind Angel as I plead with her to listen to me. When she gets to the bathroom she turns in the doorway with red, puffy eyes and a trembling voice.

"I hate you, Benjamin..." She whispers, slamming the door in my face. I hear the lock turn before soft weeping followed.

I close my eyes and rest my forehead against the door, listening to her cry. It was messing with me and I couldn't describe how. I never cheated on Angel to hurt her feelings. It was just something I did because it was fun. There was a thrill to it. Like sneaking out past curfew while your parents thought you were in your room, asleep. You weren't trying to make your parents worry because you weren't thinking about them. You were just living in the moment.

"Angel," I try turning the knob like that would magically make the door open. "Just open the door and let me talk to you baby, please."

She yelled at me and told me to go away, telling me for the thousandth time that I didn't even care about what I did. I did care, but my marriage was not my top priority, because I knew it wasn't in jeopardy. She was mad in the moment so she was saying all of this, but I knew Angel was not leaving me. We've been a family for eighteen years, I wasn't worried.

My main concern was how long she would hold out on sex. I didn't know what type of partner Angel was when it came to cheating. Would she forgive and move on, or be bitter the rest of the relationship and keep bringing it up and accusing me of cheating for every little thing now? I was mad at myself for being so dumb. I started getting too bold. Instead of keeping Nyah at a far away distance I brought her into boiling hot water.

I look at the clock on the tv and knew I had to get going soon. I did have my first job today, it just wasn't as early as I had told Angel. What was she doing with those broads anyway? I told her to stay in the room, I thought to myself. I wouldn't have gotten caught if she would have listened to me. I was surprised because she listened to everything I said. Those hoes must've convinced her.

That was the real question, if she was so uncomfortable and didn't even know if those women liked her or not, what was she even doing out her hotel room hanging out with them? But I wouldn't even attempt to try and interrogate her. It was too late for that.

My iPhone starts ringing so I pick it up and walk away from the bathroom door. I see Capri's name on the screen and answer. "Hello?"

"You gotta be out in the next hour, we have a car that your gonna drive, you won't use your own. And your going down to Tampa to drop some work to two customers over there." Capri said.

Angel and I have never even been out of Miami, except for where we were right now. I look at the bathroom door and almost want to tell her, because it was kind of cool, but I doubt she cared.

"You'll be out there for the last four days, we'll set you up in a hotel. This is how it's going to work: On the first day you'll travel to the location of the first customer, give him his merchandise and collect the money. Then day two, you do nothing and just stay in your room. Day three you travel to the next location and do the same, give him his product, collect the money and day four there's no work, you return home. You'll get more information about who ordered what so you know how much to give which customer. Any questions?"

"Yeah, actually I don't feel comfortable leaving Angel out here while I'm in a whole other city."

"She can go back home if she wants, or stay until the allotted time, the room costs are taken care of." He says. There's no indication in his voice that he knew what was going on with Angel and I right. I knew women spoke a lot, so if his wife told him, he surely didn't have any input on it other then mentioning business. My type of man, someone who knew how to mind his business.