Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"I wasn't always able to protect you. But I promise, I'll never see those tears running down your face with the words 'they hurt me again' leave your mouth." —Money

Angel and I were in the living room, her on the couch sitting with one leg crossed over the other, Indian style. And me on the ground with both my legs outstretched. It was the next morning and we were counting all the money we took from Quanell last night. It was now our second time counting and again, we both come up with the same number. I look over at Angel with disappointment.

"Only fifteen thousand dollars." I say dryly.

Angel on the other hand was smiling like we hit a multi-million dollar lottery ticket. I don't know why because fifteen thousands dollars wasn't anything. That wasn't something that required rocket science, anybody rich or poor knew that. So our hit had been for nothing, basically.

"It's still more than we had yesterday." She says eyeing the huge piles of cash neatly stacked side by side.

I look at her like she had two heads growing from her neck. "What? This is nothing. With his status he's suppose to have way more than this." To say I was bitter was an understatement. I was at least expecting a hundred grand from Quanell.

Angel and I have been watching him for a while, for about a month. From what was observed: the luxury cars, diamond studded watches, chains, the excessive wads of cash he always seemed to have on him—it was an assumption that at minimum, he'd at least have enough to buy a Range Rover off the lot. Then again I wasn't naïve, most of them that were that flashy weren't always that rich. And I'll admit, it was my fault for forgetting and assuming otherwise.

Angel rolled her eyes and smirked at me. My government name is Benjamin Carter. Ever since I was old enough to tie my laces, I've always hated the name for some reason. Might've been because it sounded really outdated, so instead I called myself Money. Not because I had a love for money; I mean I did, but everyone did. I just used it because it sounded better than Benjamin.

"Money stop being ungrateful, okay it's not a million dollars but at least we got something. How much did you expect him to have in a tiny apartment like that?"

Angel was the kind of person that liked to look at the glass half full, while I looked at it as half empty. It wasn't because I was a negative person, but it was important to know that always looking at things through a positive lens wasn't always realistic. I appreciated Angel's innocent, kind hearted personality but that didn't work for every situation.

"You have to think beyond that, baby girl. Your last name is Carter so you have to think like a Carter."

I hear the leather cushion make a noise before Angel is suddenly kneeling down between my legs so we're at eye level. "Oh yeah? And how does a Carter think?" She asks, looking amused.

"That the sky is the limit. There should never be such a thing as being happy and settling with what you have, just because you have something. There's always an opportunity to do better."

She tilted her head to the side and narrowed her eyes at me, analyzing what I just said to her. She placed her small hands on my face, pressing her soft lips into mine. She pulled away only to peck my lips twice more, before looking into my eyes with her sea green ones. "Well...can't argue with that, that is true. Maybe I'll put that philosophy to use one day."

I lick my lips, savoring the kiss. "You should." I eye my her back, taking in the gorgeous features that I got to proudly say I came home too every night. I didn't think I was shallow, but I wasn't going to be corny and say looks didn't matter either, because they did. It was human nature to want someone attractive.