You're the Earth, I'm Your Moon

Chapter 23

Darkness encircled the large span of greenery as little lanterns floated and twinkled against the night sky.

"It's beautiful isn't?" Adelaide asked, smiling down at her hands as she studied the night sky for a stray lantern.

"Not as beautiful as you," I admitted, sweeping her long tresses behind her ear. Everything seemed heightened, as if I was actually touching and talking with Adelaide.

"I wish this, us, was easy," she smiled a sad smile, looking up from her seated position, holding my hand in hers. "It would make things so much easier,"

"I know," I sighed, holding her small body against my chest. It felt indescribable and heart thumping. Just having her this close made my chest tighten in relief. Relief that maybe, just maybe, she could still be safe.

The wind whistled between the trees, tousling her dark hair in intricate patterns against the sparkling night sky. She was a sight to behold, one that I wished to have the pleasure of waking up to every morning.

Just then, silence chose to ensue between the two of us, comfortable silence. A silence that allowed the two of us to appreciate the sounds of the night.

"He won't stop," Adelaide spoke up with a scowl firmly set in place. Gazing down, I spotted a small trail of wetness sliding down her cheek. She was crying.

"Don't worry about that right now," I cooed, trying to distract her from the terror that was her life. I hated seeing her in such a state of distress that I couldn't just erase it. It was even more painful than having her unknowingly ripped away from me.

"How can I when everything I know has been a lie?" She choked out, gazing up and connecting her beautiful brown eyes with mine. In truth, she was right. It was impossible to just forget what has transpired in the past couple of months, and something told me that this was just the beginning of our own personal little hell.

"Let's just treasure the time we have together, please?" I ask, begging for her to put her own demons temporarily at rest.

"I'm sorry," Adelaide mumbled, tightening her hold around my waist as she buried her face into my torso.

"Good girl," I whisper, breathing in her intoxicating smell that was a mixture of budding lavender and rose water. If this was a dream, it was definitely one that I had no intention of waking up from.

Looking back, I can still remember her wild brown eyes and the tree trunk she so hurriedly tried protecting herself with when we first met. It was quite amusing actually. Seeing someone so petite posses so much fire. Adelaide was definitely stronger than she gave herself credit for, physically and emotionally.

"I need to tell you something Arthur, before we leave this little slice of heaven," she said, wringing her hands together every now and then, as if she was worried about something in particular.

"You can tell me anything," I press, wondering what was going on in that pretty little head of hers. Sighing, she lifted her chin up to connect her eyes with mine.

"If you can't find me before Caldwell...," She pauses, looking like she was going to hurl. "Kills me, make sure my family is okay and well," Adelaide mumbles, hiding herself from view.

"Don't think like that," I whisper, lifting her chin up until our lips are only inches apart. "You're mine Adelaide Pierce, whether you want to be or not," I profess, daring her to defy me as I claim her lips as my own. In only a matter of seconds, our soft kisses quickly turn to passionate world turning ones.

Shifting, I lift her up onto my lap so she's straddling my waist, never breaking the kiss. Adelaide suddenly moaned in pleasure, finally giving into my advances. It's about damn time, I smile to myself.

"Arthur...we-," Cutting her off, I lightly press a finger to her lips, halting the dreadful sentence I knew would spill out of her mouth.

"Oh no you don't," I chuckle, shaking my head from side to side. Without warning, I flip her over until my torso's between her legs, causing a yelp from her in response. "It's my turn," I growl, smiling a wide toothy grin until everything faded into black.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Arthur...," a feminine voice cooed, sounding distant and faraway.

I wanted to forget the world that I was bound to and loose myself in her. She was there, she was real, and she was the earth to my moon. No matter how banal that sounded.

"ARTHURRR!" The voice shouted louder this time, violently shaking me from my inner dialogue. Frightened, I shot upright, staring wide eyed at the person who'd purposely disturbed my sleep.

"Guinevere," I moaned, rubbing between the bridge of my nose in frustration. He could've guessed it was her, it was always her.

"Did you have a bad dream Artie?" Guinevere asked with wide innocent eyes, taking his hand in hers. I gazed down and stared at our connecting fingers. The smoothness of her palms felt like butter against my calloused ones. Even so, it didn't erase the uneasiness I felt inside my gut.

Unanswered questions bounced off inside my head. Was it just a dream? Why was it so vivid if it was all in my head? And why did her emotions and mannerisms feel so real?

"No," I mumbled, refusing to divulge my deepest darkest secrets to her. There was a time when I wouldn't have even thought twice before spilling my problems out to Guinevere....but, that was a long long time ago. A time where all we thought about was building girl restricted forts and playing tag as our parents basked in the evening sun. It was a simpler time for sure.

"Oh," Guinevere frowned, knowing perfectly well that his thoughts were consumed by Adelaide. She clenched her fists in anger, hating the Peasant even more for swaying his heart. Then again, if she played her cards right, she may just get Arthur on her side. Time and the right circumstances could only tell.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"ARTHUR!" I shouted, waking up with sweat dripping down my neck and back. The dream felt so real, so vivid, so unlike anything I've ever dreamt of before. I felt him, smelled him, and even heard him.

For the first time in a long time, I could think clearly without the unwanted fogginess creeping in. Arthur was his name and so help me, I was going to remember it for the rest of my life.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hey readers! I know, I know, it's a short chapter :O but I promise I'll have a longer one in the next update. Also, I'm still editing all my chapters so this one needs some of that but oh well for now XD Anyways, how'd you like this chapter? Was it confusing? What was your idea about the dream and why they both seemed to have the exact same one? Tell me ;) if you loved this chapter don't forget to vote and comment! <3

Xoxo,
Natalie