The Wicked Gentlemen

Chapter 1

Metal clanged against metal as the carriage I was in tumbled over the wooden bridge.

Everything seemed to slow down, as if what was happening wasn't actually happening. Shock rocked my body, sending warning signals to the coherent part of my brain. It seemed as if I was in a dream. A dream I couldn't wake up from. Suddenly, the carriage jolted, slamming my body against the top like a rag doll. Everything stayed still for a moment. I reached my hand out, trying to lift myself up. Bolts of pain crawled up my spine, stunning me for a second. I clenched my jaw in agony, trying to make the pain subside.

I could hear whispers and footsteps approaching the side of the upturned carriage. My heart felt like it was about to beat out of my chest. Please, help me. Please. A head poked out of the doorway. It was a man with fearsome features and a smile plastered to his face. He wasn't the most attractive man I've ever laid eyes on, in fact, he was quite the opposite. What struck me the most was the suspicious look in his eyes and the daggers strapped to his torso. My hopes started diminishing the second I laid eyes on his horrid features.

"I got her boss!" I could feel the familiar sting of bile. Get yourself together Adelaide! Loud footsteps rushed to the side of the carriage. I could hear another man's voice shout,

"Let's just get the girl and go!" Black hair poked out of the side window, his grey eyes catching mine. I curled up in a defensive ball, worried what these men's intentions were. The black haired man reached his hand out, trying to reassure me.

His eyes seemed kind and warm. I already wanted my soft bed back and the expensive meals my mother would always make. I hesitated, wondering if it was a trick, wondering if this man was to be trusted. My limbs felt sore and tired. I reached the point where I'd accept anyone's help, even if it wasn't the smartest decision.

"I don't bite," he chuckled. My hand hovered above his, still mulling it over. What's the worst that could happen? I took his hand as he lifted me out of the carriage. The sunlight greeted me, making my eyes squint from the intensity of it. Two men stood stock straight, looking grimy and of low class. Both of them had crossed arms and horrible looking smiles. Hygiene was obviously not a concern with these two. The left one was blonde, blue eyed, with a muscular build. While the right one had a washed out grey color to his hair and colorless eyes. The right one smiled to himself, his eyes raking my body from head to toe. I swallowed the bile that was threatening to come out. These men seemed...off, like something was missing. A hand clasped my shoulder, making me yelp and jolt in surprise. The black haired man smiled down at me. It seemed as if he was hiding something behind his grey orbs.

"I'm Maelodor, and these two are Forannan and Colcu," Maelodor's voice was gruff and gravely, very unlike what I expected it to be. He had a muscular build and calculating eyes to match. I ran my hands down the from of my dress, making sure every kink was straightened out. For some odd reason, I wanted to look presentable in front of these men. My father always drilled it inside my head to hide my emotions and always do what was expected of me. No matter the cost.

A large knot formed in my throat. I wondered if he was in a better place. If he was happy and content. I never really could accept his death. Even when I could feel the coldness of his skin and see the light drift from his eyes, I refused to believe it. I refused to believe that the father I was so close to was gone. The grey haired man, Forannan, let out an exasperated sigh.

"Can we just get this over with and kill her already?" He smirked, tossing his blade up and down. I wondered if the blade ever grazed his skin. Then again, I guess I could only stare at it and try to will it to.

Colcu remained silent. He looked at me in a way that was evident he was thinking the exact same thing as Forannan. The warmth in Maelodor's eyes vanished, replacing it with a cold and steel look. My eyes widened in horror as realization dawned on me.

"Since you two idiots just spoiled the cover, it looks like we'll have to," he grabbed my wrist, making sure I wouldn't have a chance to flee. Something cold was pressed against my throat. Without hesitation, my breathing came out ragged and uneven. They were going to kill me! A stampede of emotions circled inside my mind. I had a feeling something was off about these three! I should've listened to my instincts.....

My eyes darted from side to side, trying to plead for my life. I didn't want to die so abruptly. Who were these men really? How did I get myself caught up in this mess? A single tear glided down my cheek, blurring my vision slightly. My brothers need me!

Images of my childhood played on reply, as if a books pages were being flipped too fast. They were so vivid I swear I could still taste the honeysuckle juice, still feel the branches scratching against my skin, and still feel my fathers warmth. These men weren't to be trusted. They weren't to be treated with respect either, for they have shown me none. I instantly regretted giving my trust out too eagerly.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hey readers! This is my first story so stay with me ;) Comment anything you think I can hone my skills on. I've been wracking my brain if I should even post this. I finally did, after a long time. I hope you enjoy this short chapter! Criticism is encouraged! In a respectful way of course.

Cheers!
Natalie

(FOR THE BORING PART :( )

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommittal uses permitted by copyright law.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.