The Knight and Her Highness

Chapter 17

"What?! Are you an idiot?" Adriana scoffed, staring at Arthur in disbelief.

"What? I did nothing wrong," Arthur gritted out, still heated from Adelaide's tug of war with his heart.

"Oh dear. Oh, oh dear. I have an idiot in my midst," Adriana muffled into her hands, trying to calm herself down. "Do you have any idea what Adelaide has gone through? Is still going through? Of course she's confused!" She loudly whispered, trying not to wake Adelaide who was quietly asleep in her bed right above.

"Of course I know what she's gone through, we all know Adri...," Arthur frowned, starting to understand what Adriana was getting at. He started to feel like a complete and total moron, one that Adelaide didn't deserve.

"You don't think your shameless flirting and your little charade with Guinevere didn't go unnoticed by her?" Adriana quipped, her anger rearing its ugly head. "She was verbally abused by that harlot," she finished, breathing heavily from the pent up anger inside.

"I know! And it killed me seeing the look on her face when Guinevere took stabs at her....but...you know I have no choice but to entertain Guinevere." Arthur said in exasperation, tugging at his blonde strands rather roughly. Gavin shifted in his seat, quietly looking between Arthur and Adriana's dilemma.

"Arthur, I understand the situation with Gwen, but you're the one who keeps making advances towards Adelaide when she obviously isn't in the right state of mind at the moment. I agree with Adriana on this one," Gavin frowned, staring at his friend in worry. He knew that Arthur wasn't just toying with Adelaide's emotions, that his feelings were true. Yet, he couldn't help the feeling that resided inside his heart.

"I understand....," Arthur finally admitted, his eyes downcast. Looking back, he realized that maybe what Adelaide needed was space. Time away from him. He sure needed time away to figure out the confusing, but utterly beautiful, Adelaide Pierce. "I'm so stupid," he groaned, slowly swirling the rum inside his tankard.

"You're not stupid," Adriana half smiled, taking Arthur's hands into hers. "You're just lovesick," she winked, causing Gavin and Arthur to erupt in a fit of laughs and giggles.

"Lovesick? God, you sound like a love doctor," Gavin laughed even harder, clutching his side in pain.

"As a matter of fact, I do dabble in the art of love and seduction," Adriana deadpanned, not pleased in the slightest at Gavin's and Arthur's growing laughter.

"I...can't...breathe...," Arthur choked out, falling off his stool in the process.

"You two are just a bunch of heathens!" she shouted, stomping up the steps with a ghost of a smile tracing her lips.

Not long after, Arthur and Gavin followed Adriana's steps up to there respected rooms.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Tightening my grip onto the saddle, I pulled on the strap with as much force as my small body could muster.

"Done," I breathed out, surveying the heavy blankets I'd just tightened onto the back of the steed before me.

"Done? How is it done when they're positioned so roughly?" The familiar shrill almost made me want to cringe. Clenching my fists together, I turned onto my heel, looking her dead in the eyes.

"Guinevere, lovely morning isn't?" I asked, gritting my teeth till they hurt from the pressure. She always seemed to test my patience with her higher-than-thou attitude.

"As if you have the right t-," Guinevere was suddenly cut off by Gavin's hand that was now clamped across her mouth.

"Do everyone a favor and shaddap will ya?" Gavin glared, rolling his eyes in Guinevere's direction. All he got in response were a few muffled mmhm's and hmm's.

"Thanks Gavin," I smiled up at him, truly grateful for the kindness he's so generously shown me.

"No problem," he nodded curtly, releasing Guinevere with a knowing glance before he departed to the neighboring horse.

"Gosh! What nerve," Guinevere huffed, crossing her arms like a child.

"Your garments are tied here," I said, raising my voice up an octave, trying to peel Guinevere's gaze from Arthur's backside.

"I'm not riding on that horse," she said, sticking her nose up in disgust. Argh! The nerve of this woman.

Coincidentally, Arthur came up between Guinevere and I, lightly touching the sides of my arms. For some unknown reason, I started feeling cold as goosebumps traveled there way up my skin.

"This is the horse you'll be using as of today," he said, refusing to look me in the eyes. My brows knitted together in confusion, what?

"I thought-," I was so rudely cut off as Guinevere snaked her arm around Arthur's.

"Guinevere will be riding with me, since she has brought it to my attention what little of horses she knows." He nodded, his eyes pleading for me to understand. Except, I didn't understand. I don't think I'd ever truly understand this confusing man.

"Fine," I responded curtly, looking him right in the eyes. "Have a lovely ride," I said, smiling a sickeningly sweet smile as I hoisted myself up onto the noble steed. Pain radiated throughout my chest, feeling as if I couldn't breathe properly. His actions wounded me, leaving a deep sense of wanting in there wake.

"Why am I so weak?" I mumbled, staring off into the horizon. I hated how easily I cried, how easily I let Arthur, anyone for that matter, rule my emotions. If I was going to escape from Caldwell's grasp unscathed, I needed to be brave. Not just for myself, but for papa, mama, and especially for my brothers.

Taking in a lungful of air, I straightened my posture, ready to take on whatever Caldwell decided to throw at me. I refuse to be kicked around like some damsel in distress, I refuse to let him punish the people who've shown me kindness and compassion, and most of all, I refuse to be the prey while he's the predator.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hi lovely readers! Early and short update today. I was just too excited to post this chapter XD What did you think about Adelaide's internal dialogue? Do you think she needs to grow a backbone? And do you like the woman she's turning into or not? Tell me in the comments! I love feedback :) Anyways, if you loved this chapter don't forget to comment and vote! It would be greatly appreciated ^_^ <3

Xoxo,
Natalie