Acceptance

Chapter 34

Adelaide's POV:

The agony that was inflicted on the deep recesses of my heart started inflicting unimaginable pain inside my soul.

It felt as if everything was caving in, that my body was attacking itself from the inside out. Weak and feeble, I gripped the arm of the vanity chair for balance. The longer I refused my birth father's offer, the quicker the power inside of me spread, like a disease. Coughing fits became a part of my daily routine for the past month. The only difference about this one was the bright crimson color that coated the sides of my bottom lip.

"What is happening to me?" I stepped back in horror, only to stumble backwards, losing my balance, and slamming rear first onto the hard wooden floor. Excruciating pain shot up my backside, as I shrieked in agony.

"Adelaide!" Arthur shouted, clutching my feeble form in his strong embrace. "Please, for heavens sake, listen to what Merlin has to say," he begged, refusing to let me touch the tender spot on my rear. "You don't know what this power can do Adelaide. Hell, it's slowly killing you with each passing day and you refuse to accept the reality of it." He firmly exclaimed, as his slender fingers soothingly stroked up and down my spine.

"I know the reality of it Arthur, I just...I can't trust him," I sighed out, tightly clutching the rag that was stained with blood against my chest. He just doesn't understand...

"Even if you can't trust him, you need to try Addie," Arthur cooed, his lips setting my skin ablaze with each kiss he planted on my neck. The familiar feeling of warmth coated my body as chills ran up my arms and legs.

"I think I need more convincing," I winked, wrapping my arms around Arthur's neck as his hands traveled up my dress.

"Someone's feeling a little better I see," he smirked, being rough and gentle at the same time as he moved the both of us onto the silken sheets of the large bed.

"I guess you just bring out this side of me," I giggled, making sure to kiss the spots that make him the weakest.

"If you keep teasing me like this Ms. Pierce, I'm going to have to punish you," he groaned out, clutching my chest to his even tighter than before. His kisses started to become more urgent and passionate as our tongues encircled one another's.

"I guess you have to punish me then," I chuckled, taking a more dominant approach as I straddled his waist between my legs.

"Are you sure you're feeling up to this?" He asked, his eyes quickly changing to warmth and genuine worry for my well being. I couldn't help but smile at this wonderful man before me who's done everything in his power to make me the happiest woman alive.

"I'll be fine my love," I whispered in his ear, placing a small peck on his temple. With my words of approval, he instantly ripped off the dress that adorned my small figure and ravished me all night until the sun rose above the horizon.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Later the next day, I reluctantly approached Merlin in his study.

"God, this is embarrassing," I sighed, feeling defeated.

"It's okay Adelaide, you don't have to explain, I know why you've come." He smiled faintly, his tall form rising from the large wooden chair he occupied previously. "I take it, you haven't been feeling like yourself lately," he smirked, knowing perfectly well what I was experiencing.

"Bastard," I cursed under my breath, his smug smirk spiking my annoyance. "Of course I haven't been feeling like myself! My body is destroying itself from the inside out. Which you knew was going to happen from the beginning you bastard!" I shouted, knowing perfectly well that my outburst was pointless and childish.

"Yes, I did know. But your refusal to accept my offer lead you to this. Take responsibility for your own actions Adelaide."

I clenched and unclenched my fists as heat started radiating from my palms. My temper was quickly rising to an abnormal level, and so was the power inside of me. Taking a deep breath, I situated myself into the chair adjacent from my supposed father. "As much as I dislike you right now, Merlin, I need your help in controlling whatever this monster is that's brimming inside of me."

"It's not a monster, Adelaide," He sighed, already looking defeated. "It's every bit a part of you as your own individual soul is. It's who you might become if you reign in control of the power that's threatening to overtake you."

"I just want to stop feeling this way, to stop worrying about whether or not I'll accidentally kill someone due to my lack of control." I couldn't live with myself if that happened. Tears started welling up in my eyes, making my vision slightly blurry as I looked up at Merlin.

"Adelaide...," he frowned, suddenly pulling me into his warm embrace. Something burst inside of me, as the tears fell freely and sobs shook my battered body. "I'm here to help you, my beautiful daughter. You're not alone in this." He softly smiled, soothingly stroking the back of my head. His touch felt foreign, yet familiar at the same time. As if he wasn't absent for my entire childhood, as if he was the father that I grew up with for most of my life. Yet, another feeling of discomfort struck my heart, reminding me that the man who I thought to be my father for most of my adolescent life, was gone.

"I know," I weakly smiled, breaking away from his welcoming embrace, trying to put more space between the both of us.

"Now, get some rest sweetheart. You'll need your strength for tomorrow's training," he winked, situating himself in a large elm chair that had beautiful gold gilding etched into its grooves. He looked rather pleased with himself.

"Training?" I questioned, trying to quell the uneasiness I felt at his use of the word.

"Yes, training. What did you think we were going to do?" He chuckled, looking slightly amused at the wide eyed look I had plastered all over my face.

"I don't know...you tell me," I cautiously added, eyeing him suspiciously.

"You'll just have to find out tomorrow," Merlin shrugged, obviously trying his hardest to hold back a hint of laughter.

Anticipation and apprehension clouded my mind as I made my way down the large corridor leading from Merlin's study. I didn't know what to feel, what to even think really. Whenever it pertains to Merlin, my mind seems to fight within itself, constantly battling whether to accept him fully or to reject the only biological father I have. Either way, come tomorrow, I'll have my answer.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hey readers!! I hope you liked this chapter ;) I worked really hard on it and I love how this story is progressing so far! What do you think is going to happen in the next couple of chapters? Will Adelaide accept Merlin as her father or will she reject him? You tell me ;P Don't forget to like and comment if you loved this chapter! <3

Natalie here ;)