Chapter 26

Back to school.

I was, needless to say, excited about this semester. Why?

Because we were finally going to be able to use magic.

Just the very prospect of performing the spells we had been memorizing all of last semester was so pleasing to me. After all, I'd only tried to do magic once, but once was enough for me to realize that it really was as dangerous as the professors had been warning us about. I had completely passed doing one of the most simple spells. Clearly I had done something wrong. Either that, or I just wasn't ready.

"Do you all have that jittery feeling in your stomach?" Abbey asked as we sat in our usual spot on the navy table table for breakfast.

"I think it's just first day of second semester nerves," Lance said.

"I can't believe we finally get to start using magic. I've been so impatient," Abbey said. The others nodded and I took to examinig my split ends. I really needed a haircut.

"I wonder what I'd look like with short hair..." I mumbled out loud.

"That was random," Trey chuckled, nudging me with his arm.

"I have terrible split ends and I need to get a trim. I was just wondering what I'd look like with short hair," I said, looking up at him.

"You'd look great in anything," he said, pecking me on the nose. Lance made a fake-vomiting noise.

"Grow up," I said, tossing a tater tot at him. He caught in his mouth impressively and then winked.

"Well, would you get it cut in a bob?" Abbey asked, scrutinizing me. I shrugged.

"It was just a thought. I probably won't do it, though. I've never had short hair. Even when I was a little girl," I replied.

"Oh, I went through that short hair period. The one where I had hideos bangs," Abbey said, her face scrunching up in memory. I laughed, imagining her as a little girl with extremely short bangs. My own bangs had grown out over the course of the semester. I took to pinning them back since they just looked like awkwardly cut layers.

"What's your first class?" Trey asked, plucking a grape from my plate.

"Ummm. Good question," I said, pulling out my schedule.

"I have History," Lance said, checking his as well.

"Me too!" Abbey exclaimed.

"I've got Spells," I said, scanning the paper. "What about you?" I asked him, folding my schedule up and placing it in my cardigan's pocket.

"I've got Potions," he said.

"Aww...the couple has been separated..." Lance joked. I threw my napkin at him and he laughed.

"Shut up, Lance," Trey said, rolling his eyes at him.

"We should probably get going. The bell's about to ring," Abbey said, nodding at the clock.

We agreed and got up, tossing our uneaten food into the trash. We said our good-byes to Abbey and Lance since they were going in the opposite direction as us. As we walked, Trey snaked his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him, planting a kiss on the top of my head.

"Trey!" we heard a voice say. We turned around to see one of Trey's soccer mates running up to us.

"Hey, Jason. How are you?" Trey said, removing his arm from around me to give his friend a man-hug.

"I'm good, mate. What about you?" he replied, grinning at Trey. He looked over at me and smiled. "Hello, Caley," he said.

"Hi, Jason," I replied curtly.