Chapter 11

"All right, class. Settle down and listen up," Professor Mika said, walking in briskly. She had on a long, silky, maroon robe with a velvet hood hanging from the back. It looked like a graduation robe to me, minus the zipper in the front.

The class quieted down immediately. Not because we were afraid of her. No. We were just eager for our first magic class of the day.

"As you all know, Calculus has been changed to Spell Control. In this class, I will teach how to properly aim and direct a spell," she told us. We all let out a collective groan. That didn't sound as exciting as we had hoped.

Rachel, a girl that sat in the front, raised her hand.

"Yes, Miss Iker?" Mika asked.

"We don't even know how to perform spells. So how are we going to learn how to aim them?" Rachel questioned. The class chimed in with agreement. We were silenced by a sharp look from Mika.

"That's an excellent question. But let me ask you this: in Chemistry, we teach you so many theories and experiments, but you never actually perform them yourselves, do you?" she questioned. Rachel nodded. "In the same way, in this class, I will teach you the theory of directing a spell. You will understand why this is so important once you start using spells. It is very difficult to manipulate and control a spell, since you mostly use the energy from the environment. Energy is very unstable and can overpower you. This is why you need to learn how to control it," she explained.

I frowned and sat back in my seat. This was going to be incredibly boring. I hated reading and theory. I was more of an action kind of person. I wanted to put things to use. There was no point sitting here and learning about how to direct spells. I wanted to get out there and actually direct a spell.

"I will call your name and you will come up and get your book. From this point on in the semester, you will be using this book. Reading and homework problems will be assigned for the first part of the year. Once you start using magic outside of class, which will begin second semester, you will need to practice what you are learning in this class. Second semester, I can already tell you, the majority of your examinations for this class will be to show me that you know how to properly execute the theories we learn this semester," Mika told us.

So the rest of the class went by with her assigning us books. We read the introduction Chapter together, which told us about the importance of spell direction. I was glad when the bell rang. I could tell everyone was eager to leave the room as we all rushed out of the door.

I felt Trey grab my arm, pulling me back into an empty classroom.

"Hey," he said, smiling at me.

"Why so secretive?" I asked him, cocking an eyebrow at him skeptically.

"You're the one that wanted to keep us a secret until I straightened out the situation with Abbey," he pointed out, reaching out and stroking my cheeks with his thumbs. The familiar electricity surged through my veins and I felt myself step closer to him.

"Well, you should really get on that, then," I suggested to him. He grinned at me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Have I told you how incredibly beautiful you are?" he asked, brushing a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"Several times, actually," I replied, a small smile on my lips. He leaned forward and planted a kiss on my forehead.

"I'm going to talk to her today. We're supposed to study together, so I'll talk to her then," he told me.

"Then what?" I asked. He smirked at me.

"I can't tell you that part," he said, a glint in his eye. I rolled my eyes at him and he laughed, pulling me close to him in a soft embrace. I relaxed into him, letting his warmth envelope me. We stood there like that for a moment or two and then we pulled away.