Chapter 25

I walked into Valenya's shop. The familiar chimes sounded, announcing a customer's arrival.

I had decided to accompany Natalia to Trinity Hollow, as she had some things to return and some herbs and groceries to buy. I wanted to have a chat with Valenya.

There was no doubt that she knew who my mother was. She had to have known; she knew what my name was. I needed to get some information out of her or at least figure out how exactly she knew who I was when I walked in. There was something strange about that woman and I wanted to find out what it was.

"Ahh, Caley. It's nice to see you again," I heard the melodious voice of Valenya say. I turned to face her, feeling nervous already. As I looked at her, my eyes met those familiar and strange violet ones. I was still struck by how incredibly mesmerizing they were. Violet eyes...

"I see you're wearing your gift. It suits you well, just as I'd predicted," Valenya said, nodding at the pendant necklace I had resting on my chest.

I looked down at it. I had taken to wearing the necklace all the time now. It seemed almost as if it were apart of me. Whenever I had it on, I felt like it almost pulled a veil of serenity over me, protecting me from stress and frustration. It was the same feeling I got when I was around water. Maybe it was because the pendant was shaped like a water droplet. Or maybe there was something more to the necklace than just a jewel pendant.

"I feel calm when I have it on," I told Valenya, not looking away from those incredible eyes.

"I have no doubt about that," she replied in her soft, slow voice. She smiled at me. The way she smiled freaked me out a little. It was like she knew something that I didn't; like she was in on her own personal joke.

"What do you mean?" I asked. She leaned her elbows onto the counter, examining me quietly. It was a long moment before she replied.

"That gem is a special one," she told me.

"How so?" I asked.

"It was fished out of the Mediterranean sea during the times of witches and warlocks in Sicily so many years ago," she told me. "The Aguamentis, the water weavers, had crafted a single one of this stone by manipulating earth, fire, wind and water. That stone on your necklace is worth more than all the money in the world, but it was only meant to be worn by one person," she explained. I blinked.

"Me?" I asked. She gave no indication of answering my question. Instead, she just smiled that mysterious smile of hers. "So why does it have that calming effect on me?" I asked her.

"Because, you are one of the descendents of the Aguamentis. You have blue eyes," she replied.

"So does my father," I pointed out.

"He is not a female of the Lucia surname," she replied.

"Wha--" I began, but the door opened. Natalia burst in, her cheeks flush and her eyes flashing from what looked like anger.

"Caley! What are you doing in here?!" she exclaimed. My eyes widened. Why was she angry? I told her I was going to look around.

"I was just asking about my necklac--" I started to answer, but she cut me off.

"Come with me! Come with me now!" Natalia hissed, grabbing my arm. I glanced at Valenya, who didn't seem fased by Natalia's actions one bit.

"Why? What's the matter? I was just asking a simple question!" I exclaimed once we were outside. I yanked my arm away from her and glanced through the small, square window to Valenya's shop. She wasn't there anymore.

"I don't want you to talk to her. Ever again, Caley. You have no idea who she is and the power she holds. Just stay away from her," Natalia warned, her expression serious.  I felt my heart beating; one from the suddeness of my exit and two, because of what Valenya had told me.