Prologue.

Walking into the kitchen all the teenagers stopped talking; choosing instead to fix their judgemental stares on me as I fished through the fridge. I pulled out an apple and took a bite as I searched for something to have for lunch.

I heard snickers as I bent over but I tried to ignore them. I’d been getting this treatment my whole life. I was the only human in a pack full of werewolves; a pack full of skinny, model- like werewolves. But they were egotistical, nasty and bitter towards me; as beautiful as they were on the outside, they were hideous on the inside.

The adults were indifferent to me but the teenagers hated me. I guess I ruined their perfect image of a pack, at least in their minds. As a human I was excluded from everything. I couldn’t go on runs with the males or hang out with the females because I didn’t belong. To avoid their accusing glares and cold shoulders I locked myself up in my room, burying myself in the world of fiction. I ran nightly after they were all asleep but it didn’t do much good. Sure I didn’t get out of breath when I walked up the stairs but since I just sat around during the day and because my metabolism isn’t as fast as theirs, I was much bigger than them; a fact they never let me forget it.

I really only ventured out of my room to get food, go to the bathroom, go running and go to school; though I wouldn’t have to do that anymore as I’d graduated last year. My room was my sanctuary and no one entered but my dad’s, Jenna and Davy.  I guess that they could tell that I wasn’t really part of the pack so they never pushed me; I guess that they assumed I didn’t care.

School wasn’t much different; I stayed out of everyone’s way and did the work. My teachers marked me fairly and generally left me alone.

My life was lonely. Really my only friends were my dad’s, Alpha Jenna and Beta Davy. They were so busy running the pack of well over a thousand wolves that any of them had time for me. If I’d been born a wolf then I would’ve had many friends and been respected because of my father’s position. But that wasn’t the case. I knew that they’d found me in the forest next to the body of my mother when I was only a few months old and adopted me into the pack.

I stood with some leftover chicken and the apple, closing the fridge. “I don’t think you really need that chicken.” I felt it plucked from my grip as I turned around. Lani, one of the meanest bitches I’ve ever had the displeasure of knowing, stood with the container in her hand.

I sneered at her and went to grab it out of her hand but she moved it away and shoved a hand in my face. I growled, a habit I’d picked up from living with wolves, and shoved her away from me. I was just going to walk away but she growled with a cruel smirk. “I’m just looking out for your best interests Eve. After all, what guy would want you a fatty like you?”

I shook my head and stared at her, my anger burning inside me. “You may think that you’re so pretty and liked but the truth is that you are the ugliest thing I’ve ever met. You think that boys like you so much? Well they just like the fact that you’ll open your legs for them. They’re not interested in me because unlike you, I have morals.” I said angrily.

“What did you say?” She hissed, taking a few menacing steps toward me.  

“You’re a whore.”  I shouted, poking her in the chest with each word. Years of bullying had spilt over and I was sick of it. She’d called me names for years and now she was getting a taste of her own medicine.

“Apologise and I won’t beat you to a pulp.” She hissed. I knew that she was very capable of bashing the shit out of me but I was sick of cowering before her.

I smirked and shoved her back. “Sorry for calling you a whore Lani.” I paused and looked thoughtful. “I just didn’t realise that the lack of love from your parent’s leaves a hole in your heart only dicks can fill.” I knew that it was a low blow as it was well known that her parents had left Jenna’s pack to travel the world with no thought to their only daughter.