Chapter 21

Well, I did what Alice told me to do. I've waited two days--two agonizing days--and I haven't heard a word from Addison. I sit by my phone, picking it up and putting it down over and over again, unsure if he even wants to talk to me. Finally, I dial his number and press Call. I hold it to my ear, my hand shaking. I take a deep breath, finally exhaling when I get his answering machine. I've always liked leaving a message, because then you can just say what you want to say and be done with it--the ball's in their court now. I hear the beep and open my mouth, suddenly blanking on everything I wanted to say.

"Addison, hi, um... it's Thea. I, uh, just wanted to get ahold of you. I got back from Sausalito the other day and... I need to tell you something. It's sort of important. So, if you want to talk, meet me tonight at... um..." I struggle to think of a place to meet, then an idea pops into my mind. "Meet me at the first place you ever saw me. Six o'clock." I say before hanging up.

Even though I was only in California for a couple weeks, I forgot how much colder it is here. I probably have four layers on. But on the bright side, the sky is clear tonight, billions of bright stars shining over the city. I take the metro all the way to the South Bank and soon enough the London Eye is in sight. The lights on it seem bright enough to cast a glow over the whole town. I wait in front of the giant wheel, checking my watch every so often. Five fifty-seven pm. Six o-two pm. Six o-eight pm. Six-

"Thea!" I hear, making me look around frantically. I finally spot him walking over, waving his hand in the air so that I can see him. His smile seems to grow wider as he nears me, and it all makes my heart flutter for a moment. He doesn't hesitate to wrap his arms around me, warming me up instantly. I hug him tightly, incapable of letting go. I force myself to remember this moment, because I have no idea how the rest of this night will go. And if it ends in heartbreak, and this moment is the last happy one I have with him, then I need to soak it up like a sponge.

"I was starting to worry that you didn't know what I meant when-"

"How could I possibly forget where I first saw you?" He loosens his hold on me and looks me in the eye. His soft stare is almost enough to make me admit everything right here and now, but I have a plan that I would like to stick to.

"Let's go," I say, leading him to the line of people wanting to ride the incredible wheel. We step into our very own capsule and it starts to rise. We stand beside each other, staring at the beautiful city lights gradually get farther away.

"Addison," I begin, "I need to tell you something." He turns towards me. "Okay. This may or may not come as a shock to you, I know it sort of came as a shock to me, because you're my best friend and I never ever want anything to come between us. And I've wanted to tell you this for awhile but it's not really something I've ever had to deal with before or encounter so I don't really know how to-"

"Come out with it, Thea!" He laughs.

"I'm in love with you, Addison."

His smile falls, but not into a frown. Into nothing. His expression is completely unreadable. He just stares at me, like he can't believe what I just told him. Like my words literally froze him.

"You.. you what?"

"Do I have to say it again?" I chuckle. His mouth twitches, and a large smile spreads across his face. I exhale a breath of relief.

"You love me?" He can't contain his grin.

"Yes."

"Really?"

"Addison!" I laugh. Before I can speak another word, he grabs my face and leans in, his lips finally and completely meeting mine. I wrap my arms around his neck. He pulls me even closer to him, and I can feel him begin to smile into the kiss. He pulls away slightly, grinning from ear to ear, just as I am.

"I've always loved you," he whispers. I close my eyes, letting his words soak in. He leans his forehead against mine while we just stand there, holding each other. I look to my left and gasp at the view--we're at the very top. Big Ben gleams below us, along with every building and every lamp post along every street. Addison moves behind me and wraps his arms around my waist, gently resting his chin on my shoulder as we both look at the view. People the size of ants walk along the road, taking photos of each other in front of Big Ben. A group of birds fly right past our capsule, and I hope they think this place is beautiful. Because I do.

The End