Chapter 5

Not only is the atmosphere at my new office much friendlier than the office back home, but the work ethic is much more rigorous here than I expected. Which, I guess, is a good thing. I mean, back home each editor would get an average of three manuscripts done each week, four or five if they were a bit shorter, but everyone here gets an average of four or five done no matter how long they are. I took a speed-reading class in college, but it's as if the people here took at least four. It's been one week and I've finished two manuscripts--Alice finished four.

"We're a quick bunch," she said one day at lunch, "but we all started in the same place, and I'm sure you'll get into the swing of things in no time." The only problem with this was, before I came here I thought I was in the swing of things.

This morning, I grabbed another manuscript and decided to catch up to my fellow coworkers. I sit at my desk, almost finished with my third one when I hear someone say my name. I look up and see Alice.

"Hi, um, as you know it's Friday and I just wanted to make sure you could come to my party tonight," she says, seeming unusually nervous.

"Of course," I say, and she smiles in reply. But she still looks nervous, so I ask, "Is everything okay?"

"Yes... No. I don't know," She sighs before leaning against my desk with her head in her hands. At first I think something is seriously wrong and I stand from my desk and move toward her.

"What's wrong? Do you need something? Are you okay? Do you need me to do anything?" I ask in a panic. She shakes her head in her hands and looks up.

"No no, don't fret. Everything's fine..."

"What's wrong?" I ask again, but calmer.

"It's... it's Robbie. He's going to be there tonight and I'm nervous." She crosses her arms, looking up at me with anxious eyes. My first thought can't help but be Is that it?

"I know," she says, practically reading my mind, "I shouldn't be this stressed about it. But I really fancy him. I have for over a year now and... I just hope something will happen tonight. I feel like I'm sixteen again," she chuckles. I chuckle with her--mostly at her use of the word "fancy".

"If something's supposed to happen, it'll happen," I say confidently. Her eyes soften a little, like I've given her hope.

"Really?"

"Really. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you," I say. She stands, her smile bright again.

"Thank you, Thea. I'll see you tonight," she says, and I smile and say, "See you tonight." She nods her head before walking back to her desk. I draw my attention back to my manuscript, yet get distracted every once in awhile by thoughts about tonight's party.

As I walk up Alice's front steps that night, I briefly think about every party I've ever been to--all three of them. One was during my freshman year of high school, which I left early from because I didn't know anyone there and I felt awkward. The second party was during my senior year of high school, when some guys actually brought alcohol and everyone was getting hammered--except for me, of course, not only because I had no desire to get hammered but mostly because I was voted to be a designated driver that night. And the third party doesn't really count as a party because it was a book club meeting, but someone brought wine. Nobody drank any, but someone did bring wine.

I knock on Alice's door and she opens it a moment later. She has a beer in her hand, and she already looks a bit tipsy.

"Thea!" She exclaims, throwing her arms in the air and spilling some of her beer on a guy standing behind her. I'm already slightly regretting coming here, but I have no choice other than to give this party a chance. I step inside and close the door behind me.

"I'm so glad you could make it!" She yells again, and I smile and say, "Me too!"

I'm not entirely sure if I mean that just yet, but I don't want to leave this party early like I did freshman year. I can do this. She hands me a beer and I take it politely. Her long blonde hair has a sort of "bed head" look to it, but it looks so perfectly messy, like she might have actually styled it that way. Someone else seems to grab her attention and she walks around me into the other room, leaving me in the small crowd of strangers.

I put the beer down and start walking into the living room, determined to find anyone from work. As I look around the room for any familiar faces, I see someone. His face is familiar, but I can't remember where I've seen him. His dark brown hair is slightly disheveled, and his jacket looks warm. He catches my eye, and I look away instantly. I act as though I'm extremely interested in the pattern of the wallpaper, even though it's literally just white with no pattern whatsoever. I glance back at him and he's still looking at me, a shy smile on his face. I look away again and I can feel my cheeks become slightly rosy. Why on Earth are they becoming rosy at all? I decide that I probably shouldn't be in this room and I start to walk out when I feel a hand touch my arm. I jump slightly, turning around to find the same guy standing right in front of me. He must have come over when I wasn't looking. Gosh he's tall.

"Hi," he says, his English accent evident. As I look at him closer up, I'm taken aback by how clear his brown eyes are. They're like looking into a pool of honey.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but, were you at the London Eye the other day?"

His question kind of stuns me, and I hesitantly nod my head.

"Yeah, I was walking by and I thought I saw you step off," he says, then seems to realize how creepy he must sound right now and attempts to save the conversation. "I mean, I noticed a few different people step off and I thought you looked familiar and, um..."

"I'm Thea," I say, holding out my hand for him to shake. He smiles and shakes my hand, obviously appreciating the fact that I stopped him from digging himself any deeper.

"Addison," he replies. His smile lingers for a bit, and I notice a small dimple on the right side of his mouth.

"Addison," I repeat. I have officially found my new favorite name. I've never heard it before, but it's so catchy, like a song you just can't get out of your head. Addison.

"Thea!" one of my coworkers, Clara, exclaims from across the room. She's with a few other people from work, laughing at something Andrew said and waving for me to come over. My eyes move from her to Addison.

"I better go," I say, and just like that I'm back to my self-conscious, freshman self.

"Sure," he replies. I smile at him and nod my head awkwardly before walking over to Clara and the others. I want to look back, but I don't.

"Who's that?" Clara asks me when I get close enough.

"Um.. just a guy," I say.

"He is fit," Jackie says, and my cheeks turn rosy again.

"Hey, back off Jack. Thea saw him first," Clara warns Jackie with a teasing grin.

"Oh no, I'm not really looking for a relationship right now. And I just met him, anyway," I assure them, ignoring the odd feeling in my stomach.

"Suit yourself. But if I were you, ohhh man-"

"Yeah yeah we get your point, Jack, thank you!" Clara laughs. I laugh along and glance at the spot where I left Addison, but he's not there anymore.

The group continues to talk and laugh and I try my best to join in. Robbie tells the group a story about the time Andrew dared him to run down the street in only his boxers, while it was snowing. As he's telling the story, I notice how Alice looks at him. She obviously cares about him, but it doesn't look like he has any clue about it. I wonder why she hasn't just told him yet.

When the clock strikes 2:00am, I think about calling it a night. I'm not one of those people who can pull all-nighters without an issue, I can barely keep my eyes open after midnight. I tell the group that I have to get back to my flat, and Alice boos at me and then laughs at herself. The rest of the group tries to get me to stay but I tell them that I'm getting pretty tired. After everyone says goodbye, I walk towards the front door. Even though it's late, I'm pretty sure I'm still the first person to leave the party. Typical self-conscious, freshman me.