Chapter 8 My Promise

I shifted before he could finish and ran as naked as I was born through the trees. Only when I thought I was far away from him did I shift into my wolf. The transition was painful and even before she could take over I fell down. Hot pains ran through my body electrifying me. I felt as if my body was being stabbed a thousand times. I lay there writhing on the ground as the pains ran through me. My hands grasped at the night sky and then I rolled over as a bitter taste rose to my mouth. I gagged and then threw up on the ground. When I was done I rolled over and lay there staring at the sky and wondering why my life did not end. I managed to return home and cleaned myself up. The place was still dark when I left for school but I did not notice as I trudged on. The gates were locked when I arrived but I ignored them and sank down against the side.

                The sun was streaming on my face when my eyes shot open. I glanced around me and quickly pulled myself up before running through the gates to my locker. My hands drew out my books and I made it to class before bell rang. The first thing I noticed was that no one spoke to me or even insulted me. Maya glared at me in the halls but by her side Luc remained his eyes always watching trying to catch mines. I knew what he was doing, his part on the deal. I made it my promise to do some research on rejections. Mom never told me anything so I would find out for myself. I entered the library lunchtime and went to the librarian. She stared at me for a second before going to find books on what I needed. She came back with an old dusty volume with an embossed cover and gave it to me. I borrowed it and left for work.

                When my shift was over I left holding the book in my hands. I entered my home and went up to my room before flopping on my bed and opening the book. My eyes skimmed the table of contents and then flew to page 165-Mate Rejection. I flipped through the book and then began to read. My eyes practically flew across the page and widened at each word. When I was finished I pushed it away and let out a long sigh. Being rejected by a male left the female in pain much like what I had felt in the forest. But when both weres rejected each other there was a chance that the weaker of the two could die. There was no doubt about it I could die the second I rejected Luc, he was about to be alpha and he was definitely stronger than me. I closed my eyes and wondered, maybe this was for the best if I died then everything would stop, the taunts, the jeers, mother and Maya would be happy, the father killer would have killed herself. I thought about it for a while and then made myself a promise that no matter what I would keep.

                I was sleeping that night when my eyes shot open. I stared at my window as it rattled and then flew open. My eyes roved wildly in the dark as a pair of feet stepped in and then his torso and head. “Shhh,” he said and flipped on the lamp. I stared at him speechlessly. “I came to remind you about our deal,” He said. I nodded. “I promise I will do it,” I said. He nodded and then stared at me. His eyes landed on my night stand and I stared at it. The book was there. He shook his head and then left.