Prologue

“Dad I’m coming!” I called and ran down the steps. I bumped into his legs and he lifted me up. “Someone’s a little late,” he said. I giggled and he put me down. “Hey don’t forget your lunch sweetie,” mom called. I smiled and took it from her as she entered the room. Dad pecked her on the cheek and then we made our way out the door. Maya had already left for the school bus and dad would drop me off at my school. I hopped into the backseat and put down my lunch bag. I was excited, today was going to be great. The car pulled away from the driveway and I stared out the windows. My neighbor Mrs. Jenkins was carrying out her garbage. I waved at her and she smiled. We drove on; my school

was close to dad’s work so it was no trouble to reach there. Before I knew what was happening my body slammed into the seat in front of me and a pain shot through my forehead. I cried out but not before there was a sudden impact and my head was tossed sideways through the window. I could feel the warmth and then hot pain coursed through me. I struggled and looked up my eyes searching for dad to make sure he was alright but the pain was ebbing on now. He turned to me almost mechanically and he offered a small pained smile. “Tabitha I love you,” he said. I shook my head through the pain. “Dad no!” I cried. His eyes retracted and then I could see his pupils darken, the colour of his wolf. For a moment he stayed like that and then it disappeared, his eyes a mere shadow of the light browns they always used to be. I screamed.

                I remember that day like it was yesterday and how can I forget. Everyone blamed me for what happened, my mother, my sister even all the kids I went to school with. I was five then and now I was fifteen, almost sixteen. Everyday I awoke with the same feelings, guilt, pain, anger. When dad died in the car crash my life changed drastically. My own family disowned me, I lived in the same house but they seemed to always want to hurt me, using there words that sent me crying every night. I held it in, I had no friends, everyone wanted to be away from the father killer. Maya made sure that they did, spreading rumours about me that shocked me when I heard them, yet I bore it all. I wished dad could have stayed that day and just a little I wished I was the one that was gone. It made me sad every time I thought about it but it was how I felt.