When in doubt play dead

Me and Sam parted our separate ways once we got to school as we had different lessons. I was hoping that my eye didn't look too bad but judging by all the looks I was receiving I concluded that it was pretty damn obvious. Oh well, at least it made me look more tough. People may think that I got into a fist fight or something. That thought cheered me up slightly as I walked into class. I caught site of Adam sitting in the corner. I wasn't sure if I should sit there or not. It was probably going to be incredibly awkward and weird. Before I could look for another seat though, Adam caught my eye and called me over.

I walked over and took a seat next to him.

His eyes widened as I approached. "Holy crap... what happened to your eye?"

I sighed. "Long story short, a kid threw an apple at me." His expression turned to confusion. "Repeat that to anyone and I'll shove your head down the toilet,"

He laughed at my threat. "Don't worry Dotty; wouldn't want to ruin your brilliant reputation."

"Do I hear sarcasm in your voice?" I glared at him. "I'll have you know that I'm the coolest kid in school. I'm in with the trend."

"In with the trend... what does that even mean?"

"It means I'm cool and you're not," I told him smugly. He smiled at me and I realised that I had totally forgotten about the date.

"Dotty, about yesterday..." he started as if he read my mind.

I gave him a guilty look. "Yes I'm sorry I ran off like that, I was a douche."

"That's fine, it's just you didn't let me finish." Oh dear I had no where to run now. "I was going to say we should do it again sometime but just as friends."

I froze.

He probably thought that I was really disappointed. "Look Dotty you're awesome but-"

"We're better as friends," I finished, grinning widely. "That's exactly what I was too chicken to tell you yesterday because I thought you wanted to go on another date."

He sighed in relief. "Yeah, I thought you may have felt the same as I got more of a friend vibe from you rather than a romantic vibe."

I bent down and gave him a friendly hug from the side. "We can be BFFLs"

He looked at me in confusion.

"Best friends for life," I translated.

"Right..."

"It's what all the cool kids say."

"Sure it is."

I suddenly jumped in excitement. "We could even come up with our own super cool secret hand shake that only we know. It would symbolise our awesome friendship and-"

"Dotty," he interrupted placing a hand on my shoulder. "Calm down, you're getting a bit too excited."

I stuck my tongue out at him. "Handshakes are in."

He laughed. "You really are the trendiest kid in school."

***

During dinner I had the pleasure of yet again explaining how I got my black eye. Luckily Ash was out so I didn't have to listen to him mocking me during dinner. Helena however was there, and I knew by tomorrow it would be all around school. Oh well, at least I'll be famous... sort of.

My cursed t-shirt had met a sad and unfortunate end. I had cut it up and attempted to flush it down the toilet. It sort of ended up clogging the toilet so I had to fish the pieces out and throw them into the neighbour's garden.