Chapter 6

"You care about me?" Peter questioned me.

"Yes, I mean if you can care about me, then why is it so hard to believe that I care about you?" I replied. I mean was it really that hard to believe. A normal not totally evil person cares about at least a dozen people, but he doesn't understand cause he only cares about two people, me and him. Don't get me wrong I am happy to be on that short list, I just wished the list was longer.

"It's just..." he started but stopped himself. He looked down at the floor, "You don't trust me. How can you care about someone you don't trust." That hurt me, the fact that he didn't think I trusted him. I mean I guess I might have sent that message earlier, but can you blame me, I just didn't think I would be the very rare exception to his feelings.

"I do trust you! It's just," I couldn't think of what to say, I lost my train of thoughts. He probably thought I was lying to him, making it up to make him feel better. I swear had something to say, it just slipped out of my mind.

"You just what? Huh Wendy!?" he said anger started to form in his voice. I could tell he didn't believe that I trusted him, which is ironic.

"It's just hard to think that I would be the one you finally opened up to. I know I'm not special, so why would I be different?" I asked looking away. This is honestly how I felt about the whole situation, but deep down I could feel that he cared at least a little bit about me.

"Wendy, but you ARE special," he replied no more angry tone, more like a caring tone. He gently placed his hand on my cheek and moving my face towards him and turning it to face him. "You wanna know why you're special?"

"Why am I special?" I asked him with sarcasm in my voice. He looked deeply into my eyes.

"Because you opened up my dark heart. That's why you make me feel like I can finally do good in the world," he replied. At that moment is when I knew for sure that I loved him, that he cared for me and I cared for him.

'I love you! I love you,' I screamed in my head, but he couldn't hear me. I didn't want him to hear me. I'm not done opening his heart yet...