Chapter Nine

[Sooo, major exams coming up! Taking a little break to finish up this chapter because damn, I need to finish this. Hope you guys like it!:D]

I opened my eyes expecting to see the leaves of the tree that hung above me, snow dripping onto my face. In a way, I had opened my eyes seeking peace and tranquility. Instead, I found myself staring up at the familiar white ceiling of my room, my whole self swathed in layers of blankets.

"Call me if she does anything stupid again," I heard Marianne's voice and I squeezed my eyes shut.

What happened?

"Yes," Mary said. "I'll take care of her," Her tone was disapproving.

I waited for some retort on Marianne's part but I only heard the click-clack of her stilettos. I opened my eyes when it faded from earshot. My whole body still felt numb and I was having difficulty moving, though I think the many layers of blankets were largely part of the obstruction.

"Ann!" I heard Giselle's piercing voice before I saw her. "You're awake!"

"Of course she is," Mary said irritably.

She plunked down more blankets at the foot of my bed and helped me sit up.

"Are you cold?" She demanded.

I shook my head, feeling a slight pounding on the inside of my head as if too much blood had rushed out at once, leaving nothing but cold caves and sharp icicles inside.

"Ow," I winced and touched my head.

"How are you feeling?" Giselle was in a light blue dress, her blond hair hanging over her shoulder in a braid.

"Horrible," My throat felt dry and the words scraped out like knives slicing through onions. It felt painful and rough.

"You deserve it," Mary still looked murderous. "What were you thinking?"

I rubbed my head and leaned back against the pillows. I pulled up the blankets, feeling slightly feverish now. A dreadful sensation was creeping up from my toes-this sense of discomfort and weariness, like there was no strength left in my body.

"I fell asleep," I remembered.

Then, I started to remember Flynn's words, his mocking words slinking through my thoughts; uninvited and lurking. Oh.

"In snow," Giselle reminded. "You could have frozen to death, Annalisa. What were you thinking?"

That's the problem. I wasn't thinking. I stared at my fingers, looking for any signs of frostbite.

"You weren't out there for long," Mary still looked understandably angry. "The doctor came and pronounced you safe. You just have a bad cold."

My first feeling was relief. I wouldn't have to go to school to face Flynn. It felt like I had been handed some last minute reprieve from a death sentence. I don't think I could face him, that scathing look in his eyes, that mocking sneer; I wanted to dive under my blankets and never want to emerge again. I didn't want to go back to school.

"Sorry," I said quietly, still staring at my hands.

I was stupid, but it felt deliciously wonderful, that brief escape. I had actually forgotten about Flynn for a while.

Giselle was studying me carefully, her delicate brow furrowed.

"Galen called," She said carefully. "He told me you ran off after Literature and I found you asleep in the garden."

My heart gave a slight leap at the mention of Galen.

"What happened?" She pressed.

Flynn's words flashed through my mind again and I fought the urge to flee. I shook my head and wished for the pounding headache to stop. I couldn't say anything now.