Chapter Five

I jumped as I heard another click, just beside my ear.

  “Galen!” I whirled around in shock. “Stop doing that!”

  Galen chuckled, withdrawing his camera.

  “Abstract art,” He said languidly. “Over-the-shoulder-shots convey a sense of…” He paused.

  “Looking to the future?” I offered.

  “Somewhat,” He grinned. “So where are you taking me now? Some castle ruin?”

  “Nah, just one of my favourite places,” I told him.

  “Is it as pretty as the playground?”

  I considered that for a moment.

  “Not really. It’s more of a sanctuary.”

  There was a sense of trepidation as I led him to the library. It was almost akin to baring a part of my soul to him. It wasn’t much, I guess, since he was probably going to be spending time in it when school starts anyway, but it meant something for me to bring him there myself. It was as if I was bringing him to my world, the world of pages and words and silence.

  When we reached the place, I searched his face for any sign of boredom, disdain or judgment. I hated this feeling of looking for trouble, but I couldn’t help it. I couldn’t help thinking that there might be some sign that our friendship was going to fall apart any moment. It was so raw, so fragile.

  I was so afraid.

  “Your town has so many pretty places,” He told me, smiling. “I don’t think I’m ever going to get used to it.”

  I felt myself relax a little.

  “You think so?” I asked.

  Galen lifted his camera and took another picture.

  “My memory card is almost full,” He looked so happy. “Come on, show me how amazing your sanctuary is.”

  I could almost feel myself tremble as we trudged up the stairs, reaching the doors. Just as we pushed it open, I saw someone that made my heart drop so quickly, I felt a little dizzy.

  “Annalisa!” Giselle called, her arms laden with books.

  Shelby was beside her, her arms also overflowing with books, her red hair twisted up into a bun.

  “Hey,” I tried to muster up happiness into my voice.

  Immediately, I felt horrible that I had to do that. Something is wrong if you find yourself not wanting to see your best friend.

  “Thought I might see you here,” She grinned.

  Shelby gave me a smile.

  Then, Giselle focused on beside me.

  “Now, you didn’t tell me you were bringing along someone,” She winked at me.

  I felt that gaping hole where my heart was, and the heavy feeling in my gut deepen.

  “Right,” I turned to Galen. “Er, this is Galen.”

  “I’m Giselle,” She leaned forward to shake his hand. “This is Shelby.”

  “Oh,” He shot me a look, and I knew he was remembering what I told him last night. “Nice to meet you. Annalisa has told me about you,” He added.

  I winced.

  “Oh she has? She’s told me about you too,” She gave me a knowing look. “I heard you’re going to be attending our school?”