Beginings

"Yuki... Never show them they get to you." A woman with hummingbird blue eyes and mousy brown hair whispered to the seven year old girl. The little girl's eyes were pale blue, so unlike the vibrant eyes of the woman next to her. "But Momma..." The girl croaked, her voice barely audible. "None of that Yuki." The woman said sternly, her hummingbird eyes dimming rapidly.
For a moment, all was still. No birds chirped, no sound of traffic. Even the wind died down. The silence was suddenly broken by a sob.
"Where are you going Momma? Can't I come with you?" The girl asked, her face tearstained. The woman struggled to explain what was happening, and what would happen. "I'm..." She paused. "I'm going to sleep, and you and Papa will be by yourselves, so you need to take care of him." She said.
The little girl looked confused. "But, whenever you sleep, you always wake up. You are going to wake up, right?" She asked hopefully. "No. I'm going to sleep forever." The woman replied.
"Oh. Well can I come with you? I want to come with you!" The girl said angrily. "No Yuki. You can't come with me. You need to stay awake." The woman said. Yuki began to cry. "There there. None of that, sweetie. There's no need to cry. No need to say goodbye." The woman reached out a hand and brushed the tears off her face. "Don't cry. You'll make me cry." Yuki nodded.
Then, as the dawn began to paint the sky a rosy color, the light left the woman's eyes. There was a smile on her face.
"C'mon Momma. The ground isn't a good place to sleep." Yuki whimpered. The tears threatened to spill from her eyes, but she remembered, her mother had told her not to cry. She stood up. "From this day forward, I, Yuki Yume, swear never to cry again!" The seven year old pledged.
She never forgot what she had seen that day, and to protect herself from this pain, and ever being hurt again, she began to build up a wall. She perfected her emotionless mask until nothing could dent it. She shut out everyone, even her own father.
That seven year old, that was me.

(I don't own OHSHC.)