Epilogue

Two years later

I stood in front of the window, staring down at the swing set in our backyard.  It was just like the one in Hope and Faith’s backyard.  Snowflakes swirled around the metal frame and tiny drifts were piling up on the seats.  Grayson bought me the new swing set when we bought the house.  We now lived less than a mile from Hope and Faith, not that it would have mattered, and they would be around no matter if we lived next door or in the next state.  I loved the house, the company of our mothers and most of all Grayson.  

As I watched the snow blow through the bare limbs of the trees, I thought about what the future would hold for Grayson and me.  It seemed so long ago that I was beaten everyday, but now I had different worries.

I sighed as I felt arms slide around my waist and large, warm hands cup my swollen stomach.  I glanced up to smile at Grayson as a tiny foot pressed against one of his hands.  A look of pure delight and love etched his face as his unborn daughter stretched against the confines of my stomach.  She was running out of room but within a week or two, she would be born and have all the room in the world.  

I concentrated on the feeling of tiny limbs poking me from the inside out, trying to take my mind off the thoughts that plagued me, but apparently I forgot to cover up my concerns and Grayson frowned as he studied my face.  

“What’s wrong?”  He asked and stepped in front of me, cutting off my view of the swing set.

I sighed and pushed my hand through my hair in a frustrated manor.  For the past eight and a half months, I had done my best to keep my fears and worries about having a child to myself.  

“Tell me.”  Grayson demanded in a gentle tone.  I saw the concern on his face and my heart melted.  Tears suddenly overflowed down my cheeks and I launched myself into Grayson’s arms.  Breaking down was not normal for me but being pregnant caused me to overreact to everything and now I realized I should have told Grayson my fears at the beginning, instead I let them fester for so long.  

“What if I turn out like them?”  I whispered and clutched him as close as I could with my huge belly in between us.

“Darlin’ you know you’re not going to be anything like your parents.  You are the kindest, most caring person I know; you could never be anything like them.”  He responded and pulled back to catch my face in his hands.  

“You don’t think that I’ve worried I might end up like my father?”  His eyes took on a distant look for a second then focused on mine again.  “I worried about it a lot but then I realized that after going through it, I would never allow it to happen to my own child and I know you feel the same.  You’ll be the best mother on the planet.”  He said and smiled down at me.

I shook my head knowing I would probably mess up often but I would try to be the best mom ever.  “I just keep thinking that there was something sick and twisted about them and maybe it’s in me too.  I can’t help but worry about it.”

“Don’t worry; Elise Shayde Harper will have the best parents and grandparents ever!”  He smiled and kissed my forehead.  Slowly, a smile stretched my face as I thought about the daughter that we were going to have.  We decided to name her after Grayson’s birth mother and my sister.  Grayson always joked that we would have to have at least two more kids so we could name them after Hope and Faith.  

Grayson was right of course, I knew better than to think I could ever be anything like my so-called parents.  I would give my child all the love and happiness I had in my heart, everyday of my life.  

“You know I love you; right?”  I asked with a grin and reached up on my tiptoes to kiss him.  

“Of course!”  He kissed me back with a gentle passion I knew he had only for me.  

As I looked into the eyes of the man who loved me, I could not believe I had ever prayed for death.  Being here in his arms was so much better, no matter the hardships I had to go through to get there.

 The End

Bunny's Note: Thanks so much to everybody who read the whole thing!  Thanks for sticking with me!  I hope you all like it!  Don't forget to comment, vote and fan!  Ahhh, I can't believe it's over!  Bye My Bunnies!<3