Chapter One

I hear the door creak open downstairs and feel the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.  My muscles tighten painfully and my breath hitches in my lungs.  The dread fills me and overflows causing my knees to tremble and tears to gather in the corner of my eyes.  Heavy footsteps and a loud slam reverberate through the house causing me to jump and look around for a hiding spot.  I slid down to the floor and shoved myself under my tiny bed.  I pray they don’t find me.  I pray for this nightmare to end.  Unfortunately, God stopped listening to my prayers a long time ago.  

I hear the footsteps getting closer to the bottom of the stairs and they pause as if trying to draw out as much fear as possible.  After a solid minute feet pound up the stairs and I jump at the sudden sound, hitting my head on the bottom slats of the bed but that pain does not phase me.  It is the pain to come, when they find me that will destroy me.  

I try to control my breathing, try to make myself invisible though it never works.  The footsteps get closer and closer until I see a shadow under my bedroom door.  I would have locked it but the lock was broken a long time ago and it would have been futile anyway.  Nothing would stop them if they were in the mood to damage someone.  

They stood frozen outside my door and I swear I could feel their hate filled eyes boring through it, waiting for me to breathe, to cry out, or to beg for mercy.  My muscles were battling against tension and exhaustion.  I was weak from not eating in days.  Truthfully, I didn’t know how much more abuse my body could take before giving out for good.  

Maybe that would be better; if I died I wouldn’t have to go through this everyday.  If I died no one would care.  

Suddenly my bedroom door flew open and back, slamming into the wall behind it, no doubt making a bigger hole than what was there before.  I gasped in a breath and held it, even though I knew nothing would keep them from finding me.  Two sets of shoes thumped into the room and paused a second to turn on the light.  One set was large and covered in steel toe working boots.  The other set was smaller and covered in new, bright blue tennis shoes.  Both sets moved forward at a rapid pace.  

My lungs were screaming for air and I slowly brought my hand up to cover my mouth.  I wished for just one time that they wouldn’t find me and that they would leave me alone.  The shoes were now beside the bed and I knew my time was up but I held my breath.  I was starting to see spots in front of my eyes and I knew I couldn’t hold it in much longer.  

Suddenly, I felt a hand grab my ankle and yank.  I screamed, and tried to push and kick away from the large hand grasping my leg but it was no use.  I was dragged out from under the bed to come face to face with the two people in the world who were supposed to love me the most; my parents.  

Their faces were set in ugly sneers and their eyes were dark and cold.  My father wrenched me to my feet and then slapped me across the face sending me right back to the floor.  Pain exploded from my cheek and radiated down my jaw and neck.  They laughed loudly as they watched me try to control the pain and not scream.  They loved it when I screamed.  My mother grabbed a handful of my hair and jerked me back to my feet.  A second after she let go I felt a large boot implant itself into my stomach.  I went down to my knees unable to catch my breath.  

“You stupid bitch!  Why isn’t our dinner ready?  Why didn’t you clean the fucking house like I told you to?  Huh?  What the fuck have you been doing all day?”  My mother screamed in my face and then slapped my other cheek to get her point across.  

I could hardly breath much less tell her I had been at school all day.  She didn’t really want an answer anyway, she knew where I was she just wanted someone to feel as shitty about life as she did.  

“She asked you a question you little shit; answer it!”  My father yelled.  When I tried to open my mouth to answer he kicked me in the side and I tumbled face first into the dingy carpet.  

I wanted to scream.  I wanted to fight back.  I wanted to die.  

I had thought about suicide so many times but I just couldn’t get up the nerve to actually do it and being the way my luck seemed to run I probably wouldn’t be successful.  If they discovered that I was trying to get out of this horrible life they would only make it harder on me.  They would keep me on the edge of death for the rest of my life.   

I lay still; face down on the floor, hoping they would think I was knocked out.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw my mother’s bright blue shoe rear back and I ground my teeth together knowing what was coming.  I forced my body to go limp when I felt her shoe slam into my shoulder.  The pain was so intense my fingers immediately went numb.  

“Lets go; this bitch is worthless.”  The words were somewhat slurred as my mother spoke them and she took off to the door and down the hall, my father following close behind.  

When I knew they were far enough away, I rolled over to my back and tried to breathe as shallowly as possible.  My ribs were aching and I knew if I had eaten anything it would be coming up right now.  It might have been a good thing that my meals were few and far between.  Throwing up would only make my body hurt worse but then again if I was ever allowed to eat maybe I would have a little protection against the blows and I wouldn’t be so weak that I could run away.  

I lay on the floor the rest of the night falling in and out of consciousness.  A few times I was jolted awake by loud laughter or stomping feet.  

I pray for death but like I said God had stopped listening to me a long time ago.

(A/N)  New story!  Tell me what you think!  Comment, Vote, Fan!  Thanks for reading!  Bye My Bunnies!<3