Chapter Nine

Thanks for commenting!

That morning I dressed as slowly as possible, trying to put off what I knew was to come.  Going to the police never really seemed like an option before I knew Grayson.  I always expected them to laugh in my face and tell me to go back home because that is what my parents kept telling me.  They said no one would listen, no one would care, that I was their property and they could do whatever they wanted with me.  They also promised that I would die if I ever went to the police.  

I was scared.  Scared of the police not taking me seriously and my parents finding out where I was and coming after me.  Now I also had to worry about Grayson, Hope and Faith.  If anything happened to them because of me, I would never forgive myself.  

Thirty minutes of dawdling later, I walked into the garage and got into Hope’s SUV.  Hope and Faith turned around in the front seats and smiled in a bid to reassure me. 

“Don’t worry, my brother’s working today he’ll help us.”  Hope said as she turned back to start the car.

Grayson held my hand the whole way downtown, it gave me a sense of security but it also reminded me that I should pull away, that I shouldn‘t get too close to him.  I could not let my feeling get out of hand.  I already loved him and I knew I could never let him know.  He deserved so much more than I could give him.  Truthfully, what did I have to give anyone?  I became a hollow shell over the past two years; I was shy and scared of most everyone.  I couldn’t let Grayson know he was the only one I felt safe with, that would only make him stay near me out of guilt and kindness.  

Arriving in front of the police station caused my heart rate to skyrocket and my entire body to tremble.  Everyone got out of the car but I sat there, not sure if my legs would support me when I stood.  

The door beside me opened and Grayson stooped down to look in.  One look at my face and understanding passed through his eyes.  “Come on Memory, you can do this.  We will be right beside you the entire time.”  

I nodded and scooted out of the car.  He helped me stand and then guided me up the steps and through the front door.  The police station was small but loud and smelled like stale bread and body odor.  My nose crinkled and I flinched at the onslaught to my senses.  I cowered next to Grayson as Hope and Faith moved forward to talk to the officer behind the counter.  The older man nodded blandly at the information they gave and directed us to wait for someone to come get us.  

Every second that passed felt like an eternity and my confidence of yesterday was no where to be seen.  Finally, a plain clothes officer walked up to us.  He was around forty, close to Hope and Faith’s age, with dark red hair.  When he saw Hope his face burst into a huge smile, she jumped up and hugged him.  “Harrison!  I’m so glad to see you!”  Hope said and Faith nodded in agreement and hugged him too.  

“Hey sis, what are you all doing here?”  He asked and now that they were standing so close I could see the resemblance of Hope and the officer.  

“Harrison, this is Memory and she needs to talk to you in private.”  Faith gave me an encouraging smile and waved me closer.  I hesitated and I’m sure I looked like a deer caught in the headlights because understanding and kindness flashed over Harrison’s face.  

“It’s okay Memory, you can do this.”  Grayson whispered and gripped my hand tight letting me know he wasn’t going to leave me.  

I nodded and followed as everyone walked back through the station, we passed countless doors, before stopping and entering an office on the left.  With the door closed it felt as if I was standing in a closet with four other people.  Harrison offered tan fold out chairs to Grayson and me, while Hope and Faith stood behind us.  He sat behind his desk, folded his hands in front of him and gave me his full attention.