Chapter Fifty - The Final Goodbye

It was almost a week since the messenger party left and still there was no sign of them returning.

Lizzie had been worried as she had watched them depart, wishing that she could go with them but now as the days wore on her apprehension grew steadily, the feeling making her grow paler with fear as she thought about what tonight would be; a full moon.

The monsters would be hunting in the forests, and nothing would be safe.

She shivered involuntarily as she stepped out onto the battlements, the soft breeze brushing against her skin as she stared down at the entrance gates, willing them to appear. Where were they? She thought.

What was taking them so long; they should have been back days ago.

“The feast will begin soon,” Leviro remarked, coming up behind her and making her jump.

“I know, I’m coming,” Lizzie responded, half turning to face him.

“What is wrong? You seem troubled.”

“I thought they’d be back by now,” she breathed after some pause. “I should have gone with them.”

“In life we must make choices that we can not change,” Leviro said, taking her hand firmly in his. “With every decision we must accept the consequences. There is no right or wrong answer, only that which is in our hearts. Your heart told you to trust Tae; you must now believe in that faith.”

Lizzie shook her head closing her eyes as they stood in silence for a few moments and then Leviro squeezed her hand softly.

“Come now, you must change. They will be waiting for the guest of honour.”

“I’ll be down in a minute,” she promised as he left but as she turned back to the view her, eyes were drawn once more to the crimson sunset sinking into the horizon.

She should have gone with them she thought again, the tears threatening her eyes as she waited, lost once more in her worry until she felt movement behind her.

“I hope I am not interrupting?” a soft voice spoke, making her jump.

“Tae?” she gasped, turning in surprise to see her friend, his hair and clothes dishevelled from his journey, a dark smear of blood staining his cheek.

“I was watching the gate,” she stuttered, “I didn’t…”

“There are many ways into this castle,” he interrupted. “Fortunately for me I have had many years to explore them,” he smiled, his tired eyes lighting up his face.

Lizzie smiled back as Tae moved forwards.

She felt a sudden tightening in her heart as unable to stop herself she stepped into his embrace, pressing herself close to his chest as his strong arms held her tight.

“I didn’t think you were going to make it back,” she said.

“Do you really think I would miss saying goodbye?”

They lingered a moment longer, the sound of his heart beating loudly in her ears and then self-consciously she pulled away, looking up into his face, suddenly reluctant that she’d let go.

“Come,” he smiled softly, “There is someone waiting to see you.”

******

The hall was brimming with people as they entered, the crowds parting to let them through. Lizzie caught sight of Lucas at the far end, his blue eyes shining from beneath his mane of blonde hair as he watched her approach, and she felt a sudden wave of guilt wash over her, her cheeks blushing pink as she felt Tae standing close beside her. But before she could dwell on it further she was scooped up in a huge hug, the familiar smell of Willa flower filling her nostrils.