Chapter Thirty-Nine - Safety in the Sky

As Lucas sat, nestled on the back of the giant silver dragon, the pounding of his heart drowned out by the powerful beating of its wings, Lucas realised that he had never felt so alive before; had never felt so free.

He looked over at Lizzie, her face alight; glowing from within her hair fluttering in the wind, and he felt his heart skip a beat.

She really was beautiful he thought but it was more than that.

Trust me, she had said as they jumped from the cliff edge and for the first time in his life Lucas realised that he had finally found someone that he really did.

He would trust Lizzie with his life, and as they had fallen into the unknown, he discovered that he wasn’t afraid.

Trust me, she had said, and he believed her; would always believe her.

And then in a flash of silver, the giant dragon had appeared beneath them, catching them gently and positioning them safely on its huge back, its head turned back in greeting. Lucas’ heart had felt like it was about to burst from his chest as the magnificent creature climbed further into the air, Lizzie leaning forward stroking the scales of its neck.

“I knew you’d come,” she laughed, her words swept away with the wind as the dragon soared high into the sky and away from the enemy, left shocked and motionless below.

They travelled like this for hours, huddled beneath their cloaks as the powerful wings carried them across a patchwork sky that now blazed with the fading colours of daylight until Lucas suddenly felt a slight squeeze on his fingers, and he realised they were still holding hands.

He looked over at Lizzie, to see her pointing to something in the distance.

He strained his eyes peering into the fading light until he saw what she was pointing at. There on the horizon he could see a castle glistening white amongst the clouds; its huge turrets rising out of the sky and reaching up towards the heavens.

There seemed to be no way to reach this spectacular structure from the ground and as Lucas stared on in disbelief the dragon swept in low, landing softly on the clouds surrounding the castle, a sudden wave of panic sweeping through him as he expected the dragon to fall straight through.

But the ground held and as the dragon slowed his beating wings Lucas couldn’t help, but marvel at their new surroundings.

He felt another quick squeeze on his hand and then Lizzie let go as the mighty dragon lowered its wing and allowed them to scramble down to the floor beside it.

It was only then, did Lucas realise just how big the silver dragon was. He had thought Rose was huge, but this dragon was monstrous, and as they stood beside it, he noticed that his waist barely reached the top of its large golden talons.

He turned back to Lizzie, who seemed completely at ease.

Where had this dragon come from he thought, as he watched her approach the giant scaly head, its teeth casting shadows across the floor below them.

“Thank you,” she said bowing, “I hoped you would come.”

“All you needed to do was call,” the dragon thundered. “I have been waiting a long time.”

“I’m sorry,” Lizzie said softly.

The dragon smiled, showing all of its teeth.

“I am just pleased to feel the wind beneath my wings again and smell the air of my birth land.”

Lizzie cautiously put her arm out and stroked the tip of the dragon’s snout affectionately.

“It has been a long first flight though,” the dragon continued, “I must feed and rest. You will be safe here.”