Chapter Forty-Six - The Temple of Kaimeara

It had been too easy, Malaeck thought as he bent down and scooped the small stone statue from the rock pool, feeling the warmth spread through his fingers as he lifted it to look at the smiling features of the tiny face.

It had taken days to reach the Edge of Heaven but once Hollificus had shown them the entrance the rest had been no problem.

The stairs were more of an inconvenience, long and tedious, but nothing too testing. The cave, on the other hand, could have been a problem. He smiled again stepping into the darkness and felt the warmth in his fingers spread through his body as the magic in the statue worked, the tiny flames bursting from its lips and lighting the torches throughout the empty cavern until it was flooded with a soft eerie glow.

Now all he had to do was find the bones.

He moved further in, the agitated Werevals with him, sniffing the air excitedly as they scanned the depths of the cave.

“They were here Master,” one of them suddenly hissed beside him, his eyes gleaming in the gloom. “Not long ago.”

Malaeck smiled again, a rush of excitement rising inside him.

Finally, he had them, and there was nowhere left for them to run.

******

“You alright,” Lizzie heard Lucas ask her as her eyes fluttered open to reveal she was now laying on a wide sandy beach, a warm breeze brushing her face.

“Yeah,” she nodded straining to sit up awkwardly and taking the water bottle from Lucas’ outstretched hands.

“Good, because you pretty much scared me to death back there, and I don’t think I could bare watching you get hurt again today.”

Lizzie grimaced looking down at her hands; the image of her charred bones racing through her head and she shuddered involuntarily.

“What…How?” she stammered.

“Cass said it was a really nasty spell,” he answered, “It made you feel and see what it would be like.”

“It was horrible,” Lizzie whispered, “How did you get through so easily?”

“I didn’t,” Lucas added, “But I was so worried about you, I just shut my eyes and run. I didn’t think, didn’t stop, just kept moving and then Cass was there and the pain was gone.”

“I could see you calling to me…,” Lizzie began and stopped as she saw a shudder run across his features.

“I couldn’t come back for you. I tried, but Cass stopped me. He said the magic would kill us both if I did.”

“Where is Cass?” she asked.

“He’s checking the island.”

“The island?” she questioned, “So we found it. We found the Isle of Simkus. It was real?”

Lucas nodded grinning, his blue eyes glistening in the sunlight and Lizzie felt a strange wave of warmth flush her skin as she found herself smiling back.

“So, are you feeling better?” Cass suddenly interrupted them as he landed on the sand beside them.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Lizzie answered “I just can’t believe we actually found it.”

Cass smiled warmly.

“We still have to find the glimmer,” he reasoned, “It may not be as easy as we think. I have flown over the island but maybe you should both see it as well, just in case.”

He stepped back spreading his wings once more and lowered them, so they were able to climb up.

“Lizzie, you have been very good at solving the clues so far, maybe I have missed something in the air.”